Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > money changes hands     

money changes hands

sweet hannah
Egypt

money changes hands

Hi Everyone,

I �ve seen this expression "Money changes hands" in a passage. I wonder whether the meaning will be:
1- money moves from one person to another
2- money can change people to be dishonest in one way or another.

Would you help me?

24 Jul 2011      

yanogator
United States

Definitely #1.

Bruce

24 Jul 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Bruce is right. Whenever you buy something  -money changes hands - from the buyer to the seller or whenever you pay for something.

24 Jul 2011     

sweet hannah
Egypt

Thanks a lot ! You �re always there for my.

24 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi, Sweet Hannah! I think both your interpretations are correct, and also what Bruce and Liberty responded. Although I have also seen the phrase "money changes hands" in a context referring to do something illegal, for example: "the concert tickets are sold out, but if money changes hands, I �m sure we �ll be able to get one for you"

I �ve also read this phrase in a book I read, about conspiracies and the like... so, I guess as in the majority of the English language, a lot has to do with the context in order to choose the correct interpretation.

Have a nice day!

24 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

Notice that in Mar0919 �s example, the meaning is still that money moves from one person to the other.

Bruce

24 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Yes Bruce, you �re right! money always moves from one person to the other, I think it was the reason for "inventing" money in the first place, to pay $ to obtain something.
but in the example I gave, it infers what Sweet Hannah mentioned: to do something dishonest.

I �m sure everyone would want the whole hand exchanging business had to do with HONEST transactions! Wink

24 Jul 2011     

sweet hannah
Egypt

I feel I owe you an explanation. My passage was about goat racing in Buccoo. The narrator started by describing the place and event then said: " Some people take this event very seriously. I have been told that money changes hands."

Still , for me, it is ambiguous whether the meaning is people bet and the winners got the money , so the money moves from one person to the other , or  people are so serious to do anything -even if it is illegal- to win such races.

I hope the quote helps you to help me.

25 Jul 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Thank you, Sweet Hannah, for giving us the context for this phrase, and yes, that �s exactly what it means.... that people are so obsessed with these kinds of betting issues, that they are willing to pay money (illegally) to "fix" the race.  Or at least that is what I understand from this. Let �s see if there are other opinions Wink 

25 Jul 2011     

yanogator
United States

I would say that it simply means that people bet on these races. Maybe I �m just naive.

Bruce

25 Jul 2011     

douglas
United States

As it is written it could mean both:
1) People bet on the races.
2) People "fix" the races (i.e. pay someone to lose, etc.)

25 Jul 2011     

1    2    Next >