Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > British vs American Spelling or ????    

British vs American Spelling or ????

tech_teacher
Bahamas

British vs American Spelling or ????

Is there a difference between : Programmes and programs? Can they be used interchangably or  is it a case of American vs. British spelling of the same word. I would appreciate your thoughts.

25 Jul 2011      

IceQueeny
Russian Federation

programme - Br.E

program - Am. E

They are two variants of the same word.

25 Jul 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

I �m a Br E speaker but I tend to use �program � when it refers to a computer.

Incidentally, in Scots, program referred specifically to a public notice from the 17th century onwards. It was possibly this version which influenced the American colonists. 

25 Jul 2011     

Zora
Canada

I might be wrong here but they are interchangeable when referring to a TV, theatre, etc program. However, the verb "program" as well as computer program is spelt "program".

25 Jul 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

I agree with IceQueeny........ :)

She says

programme - Br.English 100%

program - Am. English 100%

They are two variants of the same word.

Edit ........ However, in all computer-related contexts, the UK standard spelling is like the US one: �program.�

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

25 Jul 2011     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I �m with almaz on this one: program when referring to computers (but a computer programmer) and programme in all other cases (Br E)

25 Jul 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have noticed many typically American words  (movie, cookie, program (n))  are used now in British English. Not only in books but also by native speakers living there.

25 Jul 2011