Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Virus    

Virus

anusca
Italy

Virus

Hi there,
I am just writing to say I found a virus in my laptop and apparently it came from a worksheet I downloaded from this website! (so says my hubby, I have no clue).
So from now on I will be careful when uploading and most of all when I download...
Otherwise, wish you a VERY HAPPY HOLIDAY!

20 Dec 2008      

Zora
Canada

A virus... cannot be downloaded from a word "document" - they are programs and therefore need another support... to get into your system...  ALTHOUGH, people should realise that viruses can enter into your system from just having the internet connected since there is a constant exchange of information between the two systems even if you are not connected to it- ie navigating... (though this is not that frequent ...so people shouldn�t freak out and start getting all worried that their computer is infected).

That is why people should have an updated antivirus on their computer - or do like me - I have a program called "Anti-Freeze" or "Deep Freeze" and it always resets my computer back to it�s original configuration at the end of the day. Although, I need to save everything on diskettes and take the program off to save stuff later...

20 Dec 2008     

libertybelle
United States

Well, my hubby who is a computer developer says that there is such a thing as macro viriuses.
A macro is a recorded sequence of keystrokes embedded in the document which can be re-played at the touch of a single key.
The presence of a macro in a document is not always evident.

My hubby doesn�t know how to discover this problem because he is a Linux freak and not a microsoft/word expert.
 But he did say you can disable macro-playback  in a document.

L

20 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Here"s a really helpful site that is very easy to follow re macro embedded viruses which  are the things you need to watch out for with Word & other Microsoft Office files!

BU Web: Virus Alert - Protecting Against Macro Viruses (it includes how to check for disabling macros in Word)

It is very possible to get a virus from a Word document (there is a very long history of this issue which Microsoft ignored for a long time)

You should have a good antivirus program on your computer and it"s important to keep it up to date.

Also, in Microsoft XP onwards there is also a �restore point� option that can be used if it is active (the default setting). I advise reading about it using the �help� option in your Windows operating system. Using the �restore point� does not erase your documents but it will uninstall programs that have been put on your computer after the restoration point.

You can get some very good free antivirus software on the internet for personal use. If you want any links or information, just ask me!

I have been using avast! antivirus & also Spybot Search & Destroy for several years without any problems whatsoever.

In case you�re wondering... I am also a qualified computer programmer (amongst other things)

Good luck,  B-)

20 Dec 2008     

Zora
Canada

Ahh.. macros... I forgot about them. I have noticed that people that tend to "click and copy" have the annoying habit of putting macro unintentionally on documents... Though one of my students said the probable cause of my one computer being infected (had one here a couple of months ago) - was the use of the Internet, she said by just entering sites you could pick one up. (She�s also a computer programmer... )

I have never gotten one here, not that it�s not possible... cause obviously it is ... I just think that most times you get them from going to these "wonderful" sites that advertise animated clipart and such. They look innocent but they aren�t. 

20 Dec 2008     

mildredpierce
France

Good luck with this virus problem, folks; I�m so glad I have a macintosh...!
And merry X-mas!

20 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Hi mildredpierce!

Yes macintosh are very good, but please check a few technical websites too. As Macs become more popular they will start to be targeted too! The following article may be worthwhile reviewing:

CNet.com

With regard to macro viruses in Word & macs... just because you don�t have the virus affecting your machine doecn�t mean you won�t transfer it to someone else if you give them the document! So please, still take precautions.

21 Dec 2008