Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Trying to find a children ´s book    

Trying to find a children ´s book

edrodmedina
United States

Trying to find a children ´s book

When I was younger, so much younger than today I read a story of a boy who outwitted some "wisemen". They wisemen where guarding a gate to make sure that nothing was stolen and each day the boy would show up to work and when he left he left with a wheelbarrow which the wisemen scrutinized to make sure he wasn �t stealing anything. This went on for a while until the boy revealed that indeed he had be stealing. He had been stealing wheelbarrows. Or something like that. Is anyone familiar with the story? If so do you remember the title, author? Thanks. Ed

edit: I read it in the early 60s so the book may be from the 50s or 60s ( I know... ancient history for some )

30 Jul 2011      

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear Ed,
I am familiar with the plot, because in fact it �s a popular story that has been told in many different ways.  In fact, I read a story based on the same plot with my students, only in this case the boy was an old woman, the wisemen were guards, and the wheelbarrows were lorries.  I �ve also heard it told as a joke and as an urban legend as well.
Hugs
Carina 

30 Jul 2011     

aftab57
United Kingdom

This is another similar story.

30 Jul 2011     

carinaluc
Argentina

Dear Aftab,
Thanks a lot, this is just what I meant, it �s a basic plot narrators add their own details to.
Hugs
Carina

30 Jul 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Yes friends that �s the plot. I would like to locate the book I read as a child though. No biggie but it would be nice.

30 Jul 2011