Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > helping with CAE answers    

helping with CAE answers

mreduardosilva_br
Brazil

helping with CAE answers

Hi, i �ve just started a CAE course preparation and i had this test. i came across with some questions and i wonder if you could help with some explanations on this test.
Best regards,
carlos eduardo

John _______ his son home in his car.

travelled

drove

went

came

2             Don �t make him laugh while he �s eating or he �ll _______.            

swallow

choke

gasp

sneeze

3            Every year an international tennis competition _______ place in Wimbledon.

takes

makes

has

does

4             I don �t know if I will be able to help you but I �ll ________ my best.

make

do

give

work

5            Every year, _______ 10,000 runners participate in the New York Marathon.

more

about

round

near

6            With over 40 movies under his _______, Antonio Banderas is one of Spain �s most famous sons.

feet

table

sleeve

belt  

7             My doctor _______ me to take up swimming as it is such a good exercise.

suggested

proposed

advised

said

8            Greece �s _______ charm, makes it one of the top tourist destinations in Europe.

unhesitating

undoubting

undeniable

unanswerable

9            Brighton Pier was highly _______ by tourists until it burned down last year.

inhabited

attended

crowded

visited

10           When I pointed out that there was a small _______ in one of the glasses, the shop gave me a 10% reduction on the set

blot

smear

flaw

smudge

1            John likes London so much that he does _______ want to leave.

never

no

not

really

2             Lisbon is built _______ a series of hills.

on

by

in

at

3             Anne worked in Germany _______ many years.

on

in

for

since

4            Be careful as you walk. I �ve just polished the floor and it �s rather _______.

smooth

slippery

stiff

5             The British Prime Minister lives _______ 10 Downing Street.

at

by

on

in

6            Mrs. Jones is responsible _______ cleaning the office at my company.

to

for

with

from

7            Drivers using mobile phones are four times more likely to have an accident _____ other drivers.

as

or

until

than

8            Music has a calming _______ on most people.

way

effort

method

effect

9             During _______ summer months in Egypt the temperature often reaches 50� C.

one

the

those

that

10          This is the third cold I �ve had_______ three months.

for

during

in

since

1             The Sherlock Holmes stories _______ written by Arthur Conan Doyle.

were

are

have

had

2             I�d rather you _______ anything about this to anyone, please.

didn�t say

don �t say

won �t say

hadn �t say

3             Passengers are _______ to carry no more than 5 kg of hand luggage.

advised

suggested

said

spoken

4            The third attempt to reach the top of the mountain ended _______ failure.

by

in

to

up

5            Residents will have to _______ the full cost of repairs to any windows they break.

pay

give

spend

have

6             Having decided to rent a flat, we _______ contacting all the accommodation agencies in the city.

set to

set off

set about

set out

7            Kate looks so sleepy because she is not _______ to waking up so early in the morning.

wanted

taken

used

known

8             Look at his moustache! He really _______ me of Charlie Chaplin.

knows

remembers

reminds

sees

9            The instructor warned the students _______ sailing alone beyond the reef.

not

from

about

out of

10           You _______ better leave now, it�s getting late.

should

had

would

ought

2 Aug 2011      

misseleonora
Argentina

Carlos Eduardo, Why don �t you first try answering them? And then we could tell you if they are right or wrong and why . . .

2 Aug 2011     

Hanni9
Vietnam

I totally agree with Misseleonara. You should answer first, then everyone will help you to correct it. Perhaps you are rather lazy and passive

2 Aug 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

You should get a book with answer key that explains the correct answers. Posting two dozens questions on the forum and expecting us to answer and explain them all is unrealistic. 

Surely you �re not in doubt about all of them?
If so, you �re not ready at all to take the CAE.
If not, just post the questions that puzzle you.

2 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

drove, choke, takes, do, about, belt, advised,undeniable, visited(?), flaw, not, on, for,slippery, at, for, than, effect, the, in, were, didn �t say, advised, in, pay, set out(?), used, reminds, about(?), had

I do get the feel you may be abusing our help here, so figure-out the reasons and then ask specific questions about specific things you don �t understand--if you can �t determine when the past simple should be used and need an explanation for it, perhaps you shouldn �t be teaching English.

Douglas

2 Aug 2011     

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Philip, Douglas Clap

2 Aug 2011