Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD OF THE DAY    

WORD OF THE DAY

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

WORD OF THE DAY

�Word of the Day� Competition

Thank you, Ed, for your kindness in allowing me to choose �the Word�.

Today, I have chosen an idiomatic expression which is much-used where I live in the UK, especially in informal conversations.

What does the expression: �To be two-faced� mean?  For example: �Oh, he�s two-faced!�

Please, don�t research it and give us the dictionary definition.

We want your silly, humorous, or crazy definitions so that we can all laugh and relax together.  I�m waiting for your replies.  They don�t have to be in perfect English, but it�s an advantage if they are funny.  The more, the merrier!

I�ll give you the �correct� definition late this evening, and also choose a WINNER.  That Member then chooses the next �Word�.  It could be YOU.

Thank you!

Les

4 Aug 2011      

Minka
Slovenia

I think it means he stepped out of one of Picasso �s paintings. Just a guess :)

4 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

In China, "two-face" is a saying meaning "double happiness" and is most commonly used at weddings.

4 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

"Two face" is textbook strategy after an "about-face".

4 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Two faced is a reference to women who wake up in the morning with one face and by the time they leave the house for work have an entirely different face on.

4 Aug 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

two-faced is Ed having such an innocent face as his avatar and showing quite a different one in his wordsWink (no offence, Ed, just couldn �t resist)

4 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

" Two-face" is an ancient, oriental philosophy that means having a balanced "qi" or an equilibrium of one �s life forces. Certain theololgians sometimes called this the "Tao" instead of the more commonly used, "Two-faced".

4 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

"To be two-faced" is a political slogan meaning, "Hope for Change".  

4 Aug 2011     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Twof-aced is the sound a tennis player makes when he �s just been hit in the groin area by a 100mph serve...

TWOOOOF******* ACED.... again, sigh!

4 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Frank LOL

4 Aug 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

Two-faced are what we teachers get called by students, as they always say we have eyes in the back of our head, cuz we KNOW who �s fooling around even when we are writing on the board!

4 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >