Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Would it be ok...? What īs this? it īs a... / What īs that?     

Would it be ok...? What īs this? it īs a... / What īs that?

Akanah
Spain

Would it be ok...? What īs this? it īs a... / What īs that?

Hi, I hope you can help me with this one. I preparing my kids to get their Trinity Diploma and they are supposed to understand "What īs this / that?" The thing is that they don īt really need to know how to say "This is a... / that is a..." My question is: would it be "it īs a..." a good answer to a question such as "What īs that?" If you ask me, I īd say "that īs a...", but I don īt wanna introduce something they don īt really need to know.

Thanks,

Olga

5 Aug 2011      

juliag
Japan

Hi Olga,

Hope you īre having a nice day. As a native speaker I always teacher "It īs a..." as a reply to "What īs this?" and "What īs that?" and tell students only to use "This/That is a..." when they make a statement themselves, rather than answering a question.

Hope this helps.
Hugs
Julia

6 Aug 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

As a native speaker, I would use "It īs a..." as a response unless I need emphasis like: "That īs my new bicycle." (spoken proudly), but in the classroom I only use "It īs a..." with my young students.
David

6 Aug 2011     

juliag
Japan

Nice answer DavidThumbs Up Had completely forgotten we could answer like that for emphasis!

6 Aug 2011     

Akanah
Spain

Thank you! I don īt know why, but my kids have always had problems with the demostratives. They mix them up! 

Have a great weekend!!

Olga

6 Aug 2011     

letizia
Italy

don īt worry Olga, my kids have always problems too! the other items I always have problems in teaching is possessive pronouns (Trinity grade 2). last exam session the examiner told me it īs quite normal. She suggested to make ss practice p.pronouns without giving them any grammatical explanation, they are too young to understand!

6 Aug 2011     

Akanah
Spain

The funny thing about the Trinity syllabus is that examiners really don īt pay attention to some of its points. For example, kids are supposed to provide short answers to simple questions such as "Are you happy?" Well, last June our examiner told us in the feedback that a yes/no answer was enough :S 

Thanks, everybody!
 Letizia, I īm uploading some new Trinity wss next month in my blog, in case you wanna take a look ;=) Have a great summer!!

Oxx

6 Aug 2011     

letizia
Italy

thanx Olga ! 

7 Aug 2011