Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > "WORD of the DAY" COMPETITION    

"WORD of the DAY" COMPETITION

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"WORD of the DAY" COMPETITION

Hello, Everyone,
I think that some of our Members are on Holiday so they are unable to reply to PM �s.
This is the "WORD of the DAY", for the weekend.

What does this English idiomatic expression REALLY mean?

"TO BE NOSEY"

Don �t look up the definition in the Dictionary, please.  Just give us your silly, daft, or plain crazy descriptions as to what you think that the phrase means. 

The Winner, who in my opinion, is the person who has given the stupidest, wildest or most ridiculous suggestion, will be anounced at midnight, (approximately), Spanish time, on Sunday, 07/08/2011. If you are going on holiday soon, please, say so, then the Winner can be chosen from those who are staying at home.  The Winner chooses the next "Word" and chooses the Winner.

I am looking forward to your witty suggestions.
Les

6 Aug 2011      

Mehlika Sultan
Moldova

To walk with  "A la Pinocchio" elegance!

6 Aug 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

Nosey person talks noses, thinks about noses, sings about noses, reads and writes all about noses and collects them too!

6 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s when someone is so annoyed by you that they don �t want to see you, and they mumble no see you like a chant hoping this will make you go away:
"Noseeyou, noseeyou, noseey, nosey, ummm"
To be nosey - to be mumbling the "no see you" chant (well, you, Les, kind of asked for the silly definitionsWink)
Sophia

6 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Now Les, this is a very easy one!"nosey nosey" is the way eskimos say: "kiss, kiss" Look:

6 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Gerard is "nosey"  the gentleman on the right is "nosier".

6 Aug 2011     

givanys
Panama

Nosey refers to a person who is always smelling everything wherever he/she goes. He cannot stop doing that action just like a little dog  looking for food.

6 Aug 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

it�s the state of being in transition to be bilingual (English-Spanish), as NO (pronounced in English) + SEY (pronounced in English, but meaning YES in Spanish) is the doubtful zone between yes and NO.
Sounds something like: NO-YES, NO-YES, NO-YES (notice noSEY is YES upside down).
Did I make myself clear? or I am still being NOSEY???

6 Aug 2011     

ascincoquinas
Portugal

Hi!

I think nosey is when a creature has such a long nose that needs something to hold it, otherwise it may FALL!

MY uncle has one just like that....Tongue

7 Aug 2011     

seansarto
United States

A congenial and apparently "legal" term that shifts liability away from those caught hacking into other �s computer data and privacy. For example: "Rupert Murdoch, China, and the provisions of the Patriot Act are only being "nosey"...not criminal...Let �s all go have a drink now, mates!"

This term, though, loses it �s amiability and effect when applied to court proceedings dealing with the defense of peeping toms.

7 Aug 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

To be nosey... the innate ability to smell watermarked images....

7 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >