Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Please help    

Please help

Daisee
Vietnam

Please help

Does this have a name?

Regularly, half hourly, hourly, daily, nightly, weekly, fortnightly, monthly, yearly, annually.

Is it time intervals? Time periods?

7 Aug 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Adverbs defining the regularity with which the action takes place - regularity adverbs, adverbs of frequency?
Wait for a native speaker to comment.
Sophia

7 Aug 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

Thank you Sophia for your quick answer

I think I found it: adverbs of definite frequency. (Swan Practical English Usage page 19)

Also, Englishclub.com says the same.  Their list is absolutely perfect for my needs http://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/adverbs-time.htm

7 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

And thank you:) Honestly I didn �t know they were called adverbs of definite frequency. So thanks for coming back and enlightening me:)
Sophia 

7 Aug 2011     

Daisee
Vietnam

P.S.  I only found it because you gave me a clue with regularity adverbs.  I googled that and a few sites did refer to that and that �s what gave me the clue.  I had only heard of adverbs of frequency and didn �t know about the definite and indefinite titles.  But now I do.

Thank you so very very much for your quick assistance in my hour of need because without that I would be no further.

7 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

My pleasure:)
Sophia

7 Aug 2011     

Teacher_Alnikmar
Brazil

I call them adverbs of frequency. The suffix -ly indicates the way something happens.

7 Aug 2011     

libertybelle
United States

Grammatically they are adverbs of frequency -
but in everyday language they are intervals of time.

hourly  - every hour
monthly - once a month 
yearly - once a year.

8 Aug 2011