Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > FCE and CAE grading...PLEASE HELP!!!    

FCE and CAE grading...PLEASE HELP!!!

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

FCE and CAE grading...PLEASE HELP!!!

I �m starting to teach these two exams and I was wondering how to grade the different papers of this exam...I usually count all the correct answers in an exam and divide it by the total number of the test (e.g: if the value of the test is 65, and the number of CORRECT answers is 50, I divide 50 by 65= 0.769...so the final percentage of the exam would be 7, 69...I HOPE I �M BEING CLEAR Confused )

I �m guessing that for FCE and CAE that is not the case...

Can anybody please help?

THANKS A MILLION IN ADVANCED Thumbs Up

11 Aug 2011      

Zora
Canada

I am guessing that they probably DO something similar but that each part needs at least 60% to be a passing grade. Also, I suspect that each part in the Usage of English is averaged out to determine if you have passed or not.

For example:

Open cloze - 75%
Cloze - 50%
Word Formation - 68%
Transformations - 80%

Add them together and divide by 4. So you have 273 divided by 4 which is 68% more or less.

Then each of the other sections (first you need to have passed all of them, or it is an automatic fail) are added up similarly and divided by 4 to get an average and I suspect that their grading is like this

60-75% is a C
75 - 90% a B
90%+ is an A

This is how I think they do it. I might be wrong though.

11 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

You grade according to what you teach so I can �t really help you there, but you know 0.769 is 76 per cent, right? 

11 Aug 2011     

cheezels
New Zealand

http://www.candidates.cambridgeesol.org/cs/Help_with_exams/General_English/FCE

You can see what each part is worth here.
Then click on CAE (same page) to see for that paper.

11 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

I hope you will find the help you need.

Clear, oh yes!! 

11 Aug 2011     

aldanaVenadoTuerto
Argentina

THANK YOU SO MUCH ZORA, MINKA AND CHEEZELS FOR YOUR ANSWERS!!!

And Minkel, you are right...I made a mistake, when I meant "the final mark"...not the final percentage (I know that it is 76% =) )

I �ll search the web page suggested and keep investigating...THANKKS AGAIN ♥

11 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Are you on a summer break right now? Because I use that as an excuse for EVERYTHING - especially things like that. And before the break - it was because I needed one. After the break ... you know - it takes some time for my brain to warm up again.

Have a good time!

Tongue

11 Aug 2011