Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > WORD of the DAY- 11/August / Thu (Continuation)    

WORD of the DAY- 11/August / Thu (Continuation)

suhakhader
Jordan

WORD of the DAY- 11/August / Thu (Continuation)

Hello dear colleagues,

Here is the link for the last entries on WORD of the DAY 11/August/2011

"TO STICK ONE �S NOSE INTO SOMETHING".

To continue WORD of the DAY for today, we need your participation.

Thanks in advance,

Suha

11 Aug 2011      

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"TO STICK ONE �S NOSE INTO SOMETHING".

There is a feeling that this facetious facial phrase is a platitudinous Party-Political proverb of Parliament.

I am inclined to agree with this thought: I lean towards this opinion.  For this reason, I have a list.

However, there are three dangerous points which we must not ignore in our argument --- a pin; a needle, and an ESLP Worksheet.

I agree that, in most cases, an ESLP Worksheet is not dangerous.  Nevertheless, it usually does have a point.

(When I am pursuing a difficult argument, I always say: �There�s nothing like a Good Joke!�  And that was certainly nothing like a Good Joke.)

I repeat, this ridiculous riposte refers to the reckoning of the returns in a referendum in a vocal vote, voiced by vociferous voters.

�The Ayes have it�.  �The Noes have it�

These sententious, sonorous sentences sound throughout the sombre assembly of our prehistoric Parliament.

(It just occurs to me that people in the USA spell �sombre� as �somber�.  I wonder if Spanish-speaking Americans spell �hombre� as �homber�?)

What is not generally known, is that the British Parliament, which takes pride in being the 435th tribal gathering in the whole world, has not always voted with their feet, as they do at present.

I will give you a clue.

�The Eyes have it�.  �The Noses have it�

Yes, 1,400 years ago, Parliamentarians voted by putting their Glass Eye, or their False Nose, in the Ballot Box.  In this way, the vote was completely anonymous, or Anon, as they used to say in those days.

So, the next time you vote, look at the Ballot Box, and remember:

"STICK YOUR NOSE IN"

Les

11 Aug 2011