Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > My Day    

My Day

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Minka,

Oxford English Dictionary: Cockerel, noun, A young domestic cock: Origin - Middle English, diminutive of �cock �.

I have no problem, in an English class, with the use of the word �cock �, nor with �rubber �, nor with �sex �.  (I avoid the word �gender �, because it strikes me as a coy word, redolent of Victorian attitudes, which causes confusion with the grammatical word �gender �.)

Your American colleague must have found it difficult speaking, in what is perceived as �Politically Correct English �.

All the Best!

Les

12 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

Well, she named a few examples when using the wrong (Br instead of Am or vice versa) word can be very confusing if not embarrassing. We had a good laugh over it LOL One of her friends (from UK) for instance, tried to buy a rubber at the stationer �s, but they kept sending her to the "drugstore".
We tend to teach British English, but tolerate American expressions, too and explain the children what is what. They should avoid mixing the two,but they get more American English from TV and the music they  listen to.

All the best to you, too! :)

12 Aug 2011     

< Previous   1    2