Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > A Forum Question / Suggestion    

A Forum Question / Suggestion

Zora
Canada

A Forum Question / Suggestion

I know that I found Mariethe �s post on the London Riot �s to be quite a refreshing change from the regular forum topics.

What would everyone think about having, say once a week, a topic that is open to discussion?

I �d suggest that we stay away from touchy topics like religion or politics but I think that discussing current events, news worthy events or weird happenings might be a nice change from the usual humdrum of "Help, where are my points? I just uploaded a worksheet 2 minutes ago. Or ... Why do we use "have got" instead of "have"...

Opinions on the idea?
Question

12 Aug 2011      

MJ_Misa
Czech Republic

Thumbs Up I �m all for it (only I am not sure I will be able to contribute with my "hot" head:o))

12 Aug 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I completely agree, Linda, it would be a nice change ...

12 Aug 2011     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think this would be a bit dangerous as the current topics include religion and politics. I �m afraid that there might be many fights and agressions.

12 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

We �d stay away from politics and religion for obvious reasons. There are tons of news worthy items out there Sylvia. And MJ, I am sure you will be fine! As you know I can be a hothead too. LOL

12 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

ohhhhhhhhhhh Linda! That �s a bit daring!LOL As for me I can only talk about things I feel strongly about and I can get so het up and it is no good for my little heart! So if you do it, don �t do it too often!LOL
seriously speaking, if we don �t want to be outlaws on this site, it would have to be something about education, kids, teaching, the anglophone world....
 Have you got any ideas?
When I was in England at uni. we used to have balloon debates. Could we have something like that? ( Make sure the air is not too hot in the balloon!LOL)

12 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

What is a balloon debate??

And I was thinking only once a week. Not anymore than that. And if there is nothing interesting going on, we can just skip that week altogether. Also, I think maybe we could have people send in suggestions on news items to talk about.

12 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi everyone,

here in France there has been a debate for years : the �good � scholar rythm for our students. Is it from 6 to 8 (according to the level) hours of lessons a day 5 days a week with 2 months of summer holidays.
or
as in many countries formal lessons in the mornings and sport or artistic activity in the afternoons ? with only 1 month of summer holidays.

We have tried the 4-studying-day week with only 1 month of summer holidays. Obviously this system has not convinced and they are speaking of coming back to a more �traditional � way of rythm.

Certainly everyone has noticed that just after lunch we are less attentive to formal lesson and that we need some kind or rest or recreation for our brain after serious and complex notions studied in the morning.

Others would say that according to the season or the weather our attention is more or less awoke. Each age has its concentration period and we must take it in account too.

So what do you think about this topic : the scholar rythm ?

12 Aug 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Linda

Thanks for this refreshing of the forum - as Michaela said , I am also a "little bit" hot tempered, too spicy, most of the times. but I feel quite comfortable about discussing news that can be, somehow, related to education.

@ Marie Th�rese
Sorry, I follow your post, didn �t answer, because I had a sad experience sometime ago, cause this  kind of topics shouldn �t be here, should be banned and bla, bla, bla... you know.

Linda, go for it, if we, teachers and educators aren �t able to discuss hot topics in a civilized way... well, who else is there around to debate them.

Big kiss, Linda

Linda ( the other one, for ever )

12 Aug 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

This is a lovely topic for discussion, I think, Maryse.
I �ve been asking the school administration not to make English classes the end lesson of the day, that is the 6th or 7th lesson - 13.15-15.05 - even older students can �t stand that, and as a teacher I �m simply struggling with class discipline issues during that time, trying to recuperate  during other classes they have in the morning, when they are more alert. 
I �ve had English classes with my primary ss (4th grade) after PT lesson, when they come all sweaty and tired, having to change in their uniforms and get ready for the lesson in 10 min. It �s awful, and then they are expected to do well on their tests. 
It just beats me, when they say that the schedule was made by a computer program and they can do nothing about it. The kids just loose so much quality time, because the subjects they should be having in the morning usually come in the afternoon. And it �s usually Music, PT, Handycrafts and Literature they have in the morning.
Sophia

12 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Hey there, (hugs to the other Linda!)

I am going to be off-line early today/tonight and will be back Sat. afternoon. Please feel free to put forth suggestions to discuss or any opinions / fears / objections you may have about this idea.

I really like Maryse �s idea for a topic and, unless something spectacular happens next week, we could start with that idea - if you are all in favour of it, of course. I will even try to find a news clipping on this too, so we can add or take things from it.

Smile

12 Aug 2011     

1    2    Next >