Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Idiom - you ´re better than others    

Idiom - you ´re better than others

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Idiom - you ´re better than others

Is there any idiom to express how a person acts when he/she thinks they ´re better than other people?

In Brasil we say that someone "has the king inside his/her belly" (ter o rei na barriga). I came through the idioms "put on airs",  "lord it over" or "queen it over" as correlated, but I believe they indicate something different as for when people 
assume airs of importance and authority; behave arrogantly or dictatorially; domineer: to lord it over the menial workers.

Please, I ´d be glad someone could help me, specially the native speakers of English.

14 Aug 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

You might call a woman ´Lady Muck ´ if she ´s swanking about. You might also point out that, despite all the ´airs and graces ´, she ´s wearing a ´fur coat and no knickers ´. 

I know of more - how should I put it? - scatological expressions, which would certainly offend some of the more delicate flowers here, but I ´ll leave them for our resident potty-mouth if he ´s around : )

14 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Now Alex you wouldn ´t be referring to our winged friend who often makes people see red with some of his bull @#%&!? LOL

Now back on topic...

How about:

Be on one ´s high horse
Thinks one ´s high and mighty

14 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Cristiane,

"To be the king-pin" = To be the most important person in an organisation, (a genuine observation).

"To be king of the castle" = To be the most important person in the locality, (said jokingly).

Others could say, sarcastically: "He thinks that he is the King of the Castle".

Les

14 Aug 2011     

foose1
United States

"To be the honcho" (SW US) Honcho = boss
"He/she wants to run the show"= to become the boss

That ´s about all that I have.  Normally, the person ´s behaviour doesn ´t last long in a working environment unless the real boss is pushing the person to be the next boss.  Then again, that is normally announced by the head honcho himself/herself.

John

14 Aug 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

A bit more vulgar would be ´you think your shit doesn ´t stink ´... Pig

14 Aug 2011     

boydegg
Thailand

When someone thinks they are better than others, we can say they ´look down their nose at people ´.

15 Aug 2011     

Apodo
Australia

He thinks the sun shines out of his a**e   Shocked

15 Aug 2011     

Cristiane Prates
Brazil

Thanks everyone for all the answers! You rock!!!

15 Aug 2011     

Anna P
Brazil

To have a "rei na barriga" = to have a chip on your shoulder

15 Aug 2011