Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Can you help me?    

Can you help me?

Hanni9
Vietnam

Can you help me?

Please help me: Will or Going to

1.        I think my sister ______________________________ (pass) the exam, she has studied very hard so far.

In my opinion, the answer is "IS GOING TO PASS" . I wonder whether I am wrong? Thanks in advance

16 Aug 2011      

MF0177
Peru

Hi
I agree. The answer is "IS GOING TO PASS".

16 Aug 2011     

yanogator
United States

Both choices sound correct to my native ears, but without a rule to support it.

If the exam is scheduled in the near future, "going to" fits best. If this is just a general statement of confidence, without the speaker �s close interest in the outcome, then "will" is also good. If the exam is not yet scheduled, or is not soon, then "will" is the only choice. Ah, what a language!

Bruce

16 Aug 2011     

bienke
Belgium

I learned that when you make a prediction based on what you think or imagine you use "will". When you make a prediction based on what you see or know you use "to be going to". In my opinion the correct answer is "I think my sister will pass...", but you can say "I know my sister is going to pass the exam because she has studied hard.

Cindy

16 Aug 2011     

Mehlika Sultan
Moldova

Hi
Your answer is right!
There is a rule about using will/going to...
We use will when we decide to do something at the time of speaking/ make a prediction or express an opinion about an action in the future.
We use going to when we have already decided to do something. In other words we use it for our plans and decisions./ to express certainty about an action in the future because there is an evidence that will happen.
So in this sentence:there is a certain thing,she studied hard=evidence, so means she is going to pass.

16 Aug 2011     

foreign
Slovenia

Usually with phrases such as �I think �, �I �m sure �, we use WILL.

16 Aug 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

We use "will" for predictions (opinion about the future).

I think the exam will be easy.

We use "going to" for predictions based on evidence.

Look at those clouds. It�s going to rain any moment.

Will is the right answer for your sentence.

16 Aug 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

I agree with Bienke. In general, books teach us that if you use the word THINK, prediction is implied, so WILL seems to be the right answer. But as you can see a native speaker (the word on the street) can teach you something different.
I teach my students what it is said in the books, but then I tell them they can choose the best verb tense or form according to what they WANT  to express. It is all in your intentions.

16 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

I believe that both are correct.

You have seen your sister studying hard. You have perhaps quizzed her yourself so you know that she should pass. All this is based on a prediction that you can see because you have lived it. So here you could use "is going to pass".

Now, if you only "think" your sister has studied hard BUT have no hard evidence of it... well, I would use "will pass".

16 Aug 2011