Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Hi again    

Hi again

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi again

Hello dear people at ESLp,
I �ve been away for the summer (visiting my native Holland) so if I missed any birthdays or other important events, please don �t take my lack of response personally.. Good to see ESLp is active and vibrant as always, good to read all your posts again,
Marion

22 Aug 2011      

douglas
United States

Welcome back Marion! I hope you enjoyed your vacation.

Douglas

22 Aug 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear,

welcome back !

Maryse.

22 Aug 2011     

anaisabel001
Spain

22 Aug 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Welcome back Marion.  Hope you had a great time!

22 Aug 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Hi Marion, it �s so nice to see you back "home"!Hug
HeartMariannina

22 Aug 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you, good to see you all. I always feel akward coming back �home � after having spent a lot of time in Holland (hence the new flag :)
Thoughts of work are slowly returning and I decided I want to focus this year on conversational skills. Any ideas how to get students to speak English? I am having trouble especially with the young beginners, the ones with a very (read: VERY) limited vocabulary.
How do I get them to use what they do know, how do I take away the giggly shyness etc..
All ideas welcome...

22 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Welcome back Marion!

In answer to your conversational problem. I have a kids picture dictionary. (you know the kind with a picture of a bedroom, for example, and then the objects in that room have the words beside them) And with this dictionary, I get them to tell me what the girl looks like, what is she wearing, what can you see in the room, where are the things, how many whatever, etc...

I use this with adults and kids allike. They can use vocabulary they already know as well as new vocabulary without feeling too silly because it�s often in front of them.

22 Aug 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Storytelling is my favourite, with big pictures and repeated words and sentences. I agree with you though...it �s a hard work to get them to speak English, but I sometimes succeedLOL
Ciao

22 Aug 2011     

elderberrywine
Germany

nice to see you again, Marion, I was wondering about the flag!
Have a good start into your school year.
Two weeks to go for me ....

22 Aug 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thanks for the suggestions on getting beginners to speak.  I also have them describe pictures like you explained, Zora. They seem to be OK as long as we stay with the pre-agreed structure ("In the room there is/are...") but is seems very hard to get them to use sentences of their own or add a little beyond the �drill � structure.
Mariannina, could you explain how exactly you use story telling to make students speak? Do you make them repeat after you or do you ask questions about the story?

Elderberrywine, Weren �t you in, what was it again, Turkmenistan?

23 Aug 2011