Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Poddish WOD    

Poddish WOD

almaz
United Kingdom

Poddish WOD

GONG FARMER 

What is he/she/it?

GONG FARMER 

And remember, no sneaky peekin � at dictionaries!

GONG FARMER 

Don �t make me repeat myself.

24 Aug 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Next novel in the Run, Rabbit sequel by John Updike?Confused
Now, that I �ve posted, I �ll go sneaky-peekingEmbarrassed
Sophia
P.S. is it your own coinage, Alex? or is it too archaic? :) still no idea what that phrase could mean... anyway ewww...

24 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

Ah shucks... I thought it said "going farmer"... and I had a perfect definition for that one. "I was gonna go farmer on your @ss for stepping on my prize posies", said old man Whitman as he shook his hoe at me when I accidentally stepped on his pansies.

..... Now, well, "gong farmer" must be what old man Whitman�s victims say after he went farmer on them!

"God, Whitman gong farmer on me..." Joe gasped, in fear, as he spit out a broken tooth after the old man had hit him with his gardening hoe after Joe had traipsed through the old man�s flower garden.

24 Aug 2011     

misseleonora
Argentina

It is in fact " wrong farmer", said by a twangy.

24 Aug 2011     

douglas
United States

Somewhere in the backwoods of Jamaica an industrious young man has extended his marijuuna production process and calls it gong farming. 

He grows top quality ganja (sanskrit for marijuana), but many of his neighbors do that as well.  To gain an advantage in the market, he has come up with a process that involves crossing ganja and bamboo.  The ganja grows in a bambo shape, he then simply cuts the stem, pours water in it and lights a branch.  The effect is a bong (a type of water pipe) that is preloaded with ganja.  This industrious young man has named his invention the "Ganja Bong", or "Gong" for short. 

He is now a Gong Farmer and the bong manufacturers hate him.

DISCLAIMER. The content and views expressed in this post are for entertainment and educational purposes only and do not necessarily reflect the views of the author nor are they intended to promote any form of drug consumption nor illegal behavior.

Cheers,
Douglas

24 Aug 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Actually gong farmers have been around since before the Xia Dynasty (2100-1600 BCE). As you know gongs are disc shaped musical instruments that have been used in Asian ceremonies for a long time. What you may not know is that these musical instruments actually grow on trees. Much like the g�iro which is a gourd that that grows on a tree and is used as an instrument by removing the seeds and scoring the gourd and scratching the grooves with an implement much like an Afro comb, the gong, which comes from the gong tree, is removed from the tree and the hollowed out and the seeds removed and then set to dry and when they are properly cured hung by cords and struck with a mallet. The more mature the gong, the larger and thicker the gong and therefore the deeper the sound of the gong. Gong farmers are responsible for assuring that the gong trees remain healthy and that the correct amount of bs (fertilizer) is applied and that the gongs are harvested at the correct time so as to produce the desired sound.

24 Aug 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

�What is a Gong?�  �What is a Gong Farmer?�

Please!

Dixford Ectionary of Onglish.

A �Gong� is, in informal British English: �A medal or an award�.

A �Farmer� is, in formal British English: �A person who owns or manages a farm�.

Therefore: �A Gong Farmer is a person who owns or manages a farm, formally, on which medals or awards are grown, informally�.

QED

That was easy.  So, though it�s recondite, I�ll be an eremite, (or proselyte), and whet your appetite, as I expedite an impolite, bipartite, erudite, copyright.

Or, to make a more convoluted commentary, first we�ll have an interpretation; then a clarification; and finally a simplification.

The first break-through in organic farming was when a UK hospital gardener threw a packet of fish fingers onto the garden compost tip.  Imagine his surprise when, later, the fingers had grown a complete hand, then an arm, and then ... ... Yes!  In only three months the hospital had one replica of Captain Birdseye!

The doctors experimented with a wooden leg that was no longer used, (because it had Dutch Elm disease).  The doctors were astounded to discover that a wood-boring centipede had mated with the leg and ... ... Yes!  In only three weeks the hospital had hundreds of ambidextrous legs.

�I know a man with a wooden leg called Peter.�  �Oh, yes!  What�s the other leg called?�

But, of course, this medical miracle could not be kept quiet for an indefinite infinity.  It was not long before �Orfeo in the Unterwelt� heard about it.  Although Orfeo was British, he and his Turkish wife, Donna Kebab, masqueraded as Italian medical orderlies.  (For example, he knew that the Italian for �suppository� was �innuendo�.)

Orfeo experimented in the hospital garden, planting potatoes beside buried razor blades and ... ... Yes!  In only three days the hospital had thousands of chipped potatoes.

Orfeo was once a worthless wastrel who was weak as water.  His wife called him �The Raffia Mafia�.  He toiled daily in the soil, steeped in a life of grime, searching for the magic money-maker.

One day, he dropped into the soil his long-service medal from the local �Teenager Youth Club�, (he was 42-years-old at the time).  On it, the medal had a picture of an eagle, and ... ... Yes!  In only three hours Orfeo had millions of eagle�s eggs.

He planted these, and was immediately rewarded with �gongs� - medals, awards, and decorations of every kind.  As our story about �an organ� closes, we realise with a sense of pride, why �a gong� is regarded as �a cymbal� of success!

Les

25 Aug 2011