Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What ´s your opinion about the ´tehcnical ´ problem of ´standard ´ size for our wss ?    

What ´s your opinion about the ´tehcnical ´ problem of ´standard ´ size for our wss ?

maryse peyé
France

What ´s your opinion about the ´tehcnical ´ problem of ´standard ´ size for our wss ?

dear colleagues,

i would like to submit you a problem about the size of paper sheets in Europe vs in the USA for example.

I read once that 1 of our kind colleagues had renounced to download lots of wss, she thought interesting, due to the time she spent in reworking them.

I DO meet this problem more than often and I guess that I am not the only one. I remember that once I was really happy to have found a very very very appealing ws about a topic I was looking for for months, if not for years... I DID feel absolutely disillusioned as I had to cancel it : it was not fully editable and it was absolutely impossible to enjoy it as it was on my computer.

Our standard European size for our paper sheets (the most used in class) is 21 cms x 29,7 cms. If I remember well the size is a little bigger in the USA, is it ?

Why not decide to take in account this little problem allowing more possible dowloads for more of us. As we would not have to spend time in reworking the wss we could enjoy very much valuable work !

Why not decide of a ESL standard size, the one anyone can download without problem ? Thanks for your opinion.

Thanks for your reading this post and plenty of hugs to all of you.

Maryse.

25 Aug 2011      

treasure0911
France

Gosh, I had never understood where the problem came from! I ´m so dumb!

I totally agree with you, it would make things easier!

Hugs,

Audrey

25 Aug 2011     

Zora
Canada

I totally agree with you Maryse! Maybe there is an option when uploading that the system automatically turns it into a user friendly size for everyone?!

25 Aug 2011     

flo84
France

I wasn ´t aware of that difference so it is a good thing to know that. Moreover, if what you suggest can be done, I am for it. 
Thank you Maryse Thumbs Up

25 Aug 2011     

Jayho
Australia

We use the same size as you Maryse and we call it A4. I believe that this is some sort of international standard that replaced [what we used until the 1980s or thereabouts] ´foolscap´ and ´quarto´.

I don´t have a problem here but on on some ESL sites when I print something my paper is too small. I think that it must be set to ´foolscap´ size. However, I can adjust it to print to A4 via my college´s printer settings. I use the ´shrink to fit page ´ setting but my home printer does not have this option.

The international standard is A4 but America, Canada, Mexico, The Phillipines and Chile do not use this standard.  Europe and UK use the International standard as do we.

25 Aug 2011     

mariannina
Italy

Before printing a too big worksheet I turn it from word to pdf, as someone of you suggested me some time ago. It works.
Ciao

25 Aug 2011     

maryse peyé
France

Hi all,

Thank you so much for your answers Audrey, Zora and Flo. Hope this post will give you some keys !

Jayho how much you know about computing ! I realize more than ever that I know really few... even if little by little I improve. As someone said once ´the more I learn and understand the more I realize I have always more to discover and understand... ´ How he was right ! Thanks for the link that I will try to read peacefully and quietly.
And so many many thanks for your understanding our problem and your effort !

Dear Mariannina thanks for your means ! I will try because I am not sure my printer has what Jayho speaks about.

Plenty plenty plenty of hugs to everyone of you and thanks again for your kind answers.

Maryse.

25 Aug 2011