Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > influence of the group on a child    

influence of the group on a child

MarionG
Netherlands

influence of the group on a child

Since your ideas and links on how to promote respectful listening were so useful (any new idea still welcome though!) I now turn to you for help with a subject even less directly connected to teaching ESL.
For the general enrichment of our entire staff, we were asked to read up on group dynamics and the influence of a group on the individual child. If any of you by chance have come across an interesting article (lecture/video etc.) on the subject, I would be grateful if you could share.
The idea is to learn about how and how much a group influences an individual and how group dynamics influence a class. We limit ourselves to primary school age.
Any help in finding relevant articles would be greatly appreciated.

25 Aug 2011      

ellakass
Israel

http://educationnext.org/all-together-now/
Maybe this one?

25 Aug 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Ellakass, the article on multilevel classrooms looks very interesting. It is a field I personally am very interested in, how to deal with a hetrogenous classroom. (since, as the article also states, it is one of the biggest problems in class) It is of course also related to group dynamics etc. but I need something more general on group dynamics, things like the need to belong, for peer approval, sensitivity to peer pressure, boy girl dynamics etc...and how all that affects the functioning of a kid in a class....

25 Aug 2011     

korodi4
Hungary

Hi Marion

I like the Resource Books for Teachers series of Oxford University Press where I mostly find solutions to my problems. I suggest you two books of this series:
Jill Hadfield: Classroom Dynamics
Drama and Improvisation

25 Aug 2011     

Mariethe House
France

I did  study about group dynamics and any group works the same way, whether adults  or kids, so just google group dynamics and adapt it to children . here is a link I found:
http://managementhelp.org/groups/dynamics-theories.htm

This link is interesting and will take you to other more specific ones. A fascinating subject!

http://isites.harvard.edu/icb/icb.do?keyword=k1985&pageid=icb.page29699

25 Aug 2011     

anitarobi
Croatia

I tried googling various combinations of words, so perhaps they may help -

this and maybe

Sorry I can �t be of more concrete help. Great choice of topic, Marion, as always...

25 Aug 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you all so much. This is truly the best community of helpfull people around! I will look into all of the links. Plenty to read that �s for sure!

25 Aug 2011