Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Merry Christmas to everyone!    

Merry Christmas to everyone!

x_spacegirl_x
Germany

Merry Christmas to everyone!

I want to encourage everybody to keep up the good work, I am so addcited to this page here ;-) I have one little suggestion. I teach 9th and 10th grade English in Germany and so I am very glad to find worksheets here to help me with my work in class. But I noticed that the Grammar Worksheets (intermediate und up) sometimes don�t have very appropriate pictures . My boys would laugh their, well, behinds off if I would give it to them like that. because it�s too childish. And so I have to change the pictures and have a lot of work again. Here my suggestion: I love pictures, but please put in some neutral or appropriate ones for older students. Thanks a lot and merry xmas to everyone!

22 Dec 2008      

mena22
Portugal

Good afternoon spacegirl! Thanks for your "encouragement" although I believe most of us could do without it. We are  professionals committed to our work, but I�m sure you�ve already realized that, otherwise you wouldn�t be addicted to the site!!

You�re happy to  find here worksheets that help you and so are we... But somehow that doesn�t seem enough to you. We should, and I quote, "please put in some neutral or appropriate ones [pictures] for older students", because the ones we sometimes use are too "childish" and you have to go through a lot of work to change them...

PLEAAAAAAAAAAAASE, Spacegirl!!! If our pictures don�t please you and you don�t want to have the trouble to change them, don�t download the worksheets! It�s as simple as that!!! You cannot, you should not tell us which pictures we should use, you cannot and should not tell us how to do our work. Anyway, what makes you think that you have a better judgement for the appropriateness of pictures than the rest of us? Besides, you use the 2nd conditional, so I think you�ve never tried to give to your students the original of the worksheets you talk about!! I am sure you would be surprised!!! I have 2 classes of grown-ups at night, married people with children and all, and they are compiling all English worksheets in a dossier............

Best wishes,
mena

22 Dec 2008     

x_spacegirl_x
Germany

It was just a little suggestion. Who uses Present Perfect Worksheets or Reported Speech Worksheets with the little ones? That�s the strange thing. I don�t say anything for the elementary worksheets, but for the older ones, I don�t know...  My 5th graders love them but the are new in English and Simple present is the furthest we get right now ;-) I don�t complain but if the Creators think of putting pictures in the worksheets, put appropriate ones in it.

Merry Christmas anyway ;-)

22 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Well, I think the pictures should be appropriate to the age / level stated on the worksheet. �But I think that was the point being made, not which pictures are appropriate for all. �Appropriate is a decision made by each user but certainly the pictures for 5 and 14+ would be different. :)

22 Dec 2008     

alex1968
Greece

I�d like to add a note...

I teach at a high school which means my Ss are aged 13-18 and none of them have ever complained about the clip art I use on ws.

A 13 year old once complained about fairies, so the next ws had football clipart on it and that was that!

You should give it a try...you�d be surprised!

22 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Absoluteley! But still, that�s for the creator of the worksheet to decide! The only decision the other users can make is if they want to download the worksheet or not. To ask the creator to change it is out of the question, in my opinion.

Best wishes,
mena

22 Dec 2008     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

hello everyone,
I  must say I agree with mena in that it is for every teacher to choose what is "appropriate", since appropriateness turns out to be quite subjective when it comes to pictures. i fully agree that even a "silly" snap can be effective in some groups of teens or adults. of course, it all depends on who you have in mind when devising a printable and what your objective is... but again this is for the author to decide.
more often than not, i�ve seen people complaining about others being "childish" not only in the choice of material but also in the way they comment on others� work or thank colleagues for having downloaded their tasksheets. and  i do  feel it all boils down to being respectful towards other individuals and their "personal styles." we might like it or not but IT TAKES ALL SORTS TO MAKE A WORLD and as teachers i believe we should always remember that. 
best wishes to all!
mamamima

22 Dec 2008     

nebo_Londona
Russian Federation

Hello everybody!!I couldn�t stay apart such topic too. I thanked heaven when I came across this site and received a possibility to DL everything I need so I completely agree with meena. Besides I often edit the WSs and just the opposite - I cut pictures and borders because I�ve got 100 students and I save paint)). So if you don�t like something - just not DL! It is the only that I can advise! And you can�t say what should or shouldn�t be done on a free site!!Go and do it yourself if you are not satisfied! And another thing....I�ve got a group of adults now and they are really glad to relax working on WSs with childish pictures. Why not? They are so tired with their "grown up" world and they are happy to dive into something childish!!!As for teenagers, I agree that one should be more careful while putting picture but I use even childis pictures with teenagers too!!!They remember even better when they see a funny elf or reindeer e.g. So I don�t see any problem at all. Marry Christmas to every body soul on this site!!!!

22 Dec 2008     

mamamima
Zimbabwe

definitely nebo!! there�s nothing wrong in indulging the child we all have inside from time to time. i�ve also noticed that even adult students do need a break from "the adult world" and giving them the chance to in our classes might be appreciated :).
regards to everyone again,
mamamima

22 Dec 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I actually think that Spacegirl made a perfectly reasonable suggestion/request.  She wasn�t trashing peoples work, just pointing out that the more advanced topics would be more useful to her if they had illustrations aimed at teenagers and adults rather than just children.

Maybe next time someone is developing this resource they might remember her request - type �adult� in the keywords and then there will be another resource for those of us working with older students.  Wow that would be great!  Thanks for the suggestion Spacegirl.  It is appreciated.  I am even thinking that some of my games could do with an overhaul so it is more obvious how to use them with adults.

Merry Christmas everyone.

22 Dec 2008     

renca
Czech Republic

Hi, what a heated discussion! It happened to me just this mornig that I came across a ws at intermediate level with very childish pics like cute teddy bears and fluffy animals, which I didn�t like very much, but I downloaded that ws because I decided to delete the pics and blast - the ws was made in Publisher and was not possible to change. This is a real problem that we face here, I think, that some ws are impossible to change.

Cheers from Renata

22 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >