Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > confusing meaning    

confusing meaning

xuanguyen87
Vietnam

confusing meaning

Dear all kind teachers,

1/ In the TOEIC STARTER listening, a woman says: "I �m so hungry. i didn �ty have time for breakfast this morning. I �m having a hard time waking up early enough these days." What �s wrong with this woman? there are 4 answer, but i just confuse between 2 answers:
a/ She didn �t have any food.
b/ She �s too busy.

the answer in the book is a.Could you help me explain the meaning of the sentence in underline.

2/ what is the function, part of speech, meaning of "by far", "set" in the following sentence:
a/ the holiday season is by far the busiest time of year for most stores
b/ almost all of the prisoners were set free.

I am really grateful to you for your help.

31 Aug 2011      

abdel
Morocco

hi lady!
well, for the first question, (a) is for sure the right answer because nothing in the context tells us that she is a busy woman. True , we might infer that, but we might also understand that the woman is a late sleeper, in which case she is not really busy. However, she openly says: I AM SO HUNGRY. Therefore, SHE DIDN �T HAVE ANY FOOD.

By far = a prepositional phrase meaning BY A CONSIDERABLE MARGIN.
set = past participle of the verb" set ". The expression : SET FREE means: TO GRANT FREEDOM- TO LIBERATE. WERE SET in the statement is a passive form.
     I  hope I was of some help to you.

HUGS from here.     abdel

31 Aug 2011     

Minka
Slovenia

She says: I didn �t have TIME to have breakfast."

I �d like to know the other two options. My guess is the woman is too tired and that is the reason why she can �t wake up early enough. I would definitely choose "Too busy", but if therre is an option saying "too tired" or "exhausted", I would choose that one. 

31 Aug 2011     

xuanguyen87
Vietnam

Thanks a lot!

31 Aug 2011