Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to use a word;)    

How to use a word;)

Stereobuzz
Ukraine

How to use a word;)

Hello everybody! Smile
Recently I �ve met a word PIZZAZZ, translated it, it seems quite understandableWink
But I still can �t get enough examples of how to use it properly...
Could you please tell me in which context it is normally used and how popular it is?Big smile
My students are very eager to learn new words, so it �d be a nice input into their collection!
Thanks a lot!Heart

3 Sep 2011      

yanogator
United States

Hi,
As I use it, "with pizzazz" is an adverbial phrase. I �m old, so I think it was more common 30 years ago than it is now.

He wasn �t an excellent musician, but he did perform with pizzazz, so it was a good show.

Bruce teaches math with pizzazz, so his students stay interested.

I hope this helps you,
Bruce

3 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

It�s really not such a common word anymore but if you google it you will see examples of usage.  This is the first time I have heard it in a loooong time.

There are two spellings: pizazz (what we use) and pizzazz (US) so remember to google both.

Cheers

Jayho

4 Sep 2011     

yanogator
United States

Hey, Jayho, now that you mention it, I think we spelled it pizazz 40 years ago. I �m not sure about that, though.

Bruce

4 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Our national dictionary spells it pizazz but also notes the other spelling.  It says it derives from US.  No-one really uses it anymore in the parts of Australia where I have lived.  It was more of a �70 �s / 80 �s word that has since been replaced by more contemporary slang.  BTW, I didn �t know it was considered slang until I looked at the first link below.

More here and here

Cheers

Jayho

4 Sep 2011     

Stereobuzz
Ukraine

Thanks a zillion, dear yanogator and JayhoHug
My students will be happy to get it, even though it �s become a bit out-of-date Wink
Great to be able to give them so much info on the word!
Cheers!Heart

4 Sep 2011