Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > How to help my students with Listening activities?    

How to help my students with Listening activities?

D@N! P
Brazil

How to help my students with Listening activities?

How to teach Listening? Can you give some suggestions? What can I make to help my students to understand the listening passages? How can I minimize problems during a listening activity?

Thanks in advance.

9 Sep 2011      

jbatiste
United States

Start with short phrases, not passages, that have students to follow a simple direction on their paper. Depending on their age, you can make up easy things, that are fun, by allowing them to color/draw and/or use crayons.
ex: "We are doing a listening activity. Listen to my directions, and do what I say. I will only say each direction three times." Draw a yellow house. Draw a green flower beside the yellow house. Draw a purple sun above the green flower.
Then, as the lessons progress, give less information about the previous direction, and repeat fewer times.
ex: instead of draw a green flower beside the yellow house, say draw a green flower beside the house.
After several lessons, they will be excited about �listening activities � and should be ready and willing to listen to passages. If you �re still having trouble, read them short stories, and providing them with blank paper, divided into sections, have them draw the parts of the story they remember, offering more points/prizes/treats for more remembered parts; or have prepared story picture cards that they are to sequence after listening. Hope this helps :)

9 Sep 2011     

Oksanochka
Ukraine

Hi! Have a look at these articles from British Council:

9 Sep 2011     

teacher jessie
Argentina

Pre listening activities are very useful. You can show them a picture that illustrates the conversation or passage that they �re about to listen and put comprehensive questions, that way you lead them to the topic.
Another pre listening activity would be a game to introduce some key words.
The point is that when they start listening , they already have a pretty good idea of the it is about.
Hope it helps
Good luck!

9 Sep 2011