Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Phrase of the Day -The Weekend    

Phrase of the Day -The Weekend

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Phrase of the Day -The Weekend

Dear Velentina,

Thank you very much for choosing me as the Winner of "Phrase of the Day".  It �s a great honour to be selected.

I think that other Contestants submit excellent Posts.  They have heard the English expression: "Short and Sweet!" and have condensed all that they want to say in a few, short, clever words.  I envy them, especially when, for many, English is not their first language.  I often laugh out loud at their superb wit.

The "Phrase of the Day" for the Weekend is a very popular one: "To have Green Fingers".

What does it mean if a Man or a Woman or a Thing has "Green Fingers"?   

Once again, don �t give us a dreary definition from Google, or Oxford, or Webster.  Let your recollections run riot and paint a potty picture; send us a silly story; or confess a crazy comedy

We are waiting!

Les

9 Sep 2011      

ascincoquinas
Portugal

That �s easy Les!

It �s an old expression that refers to those who spend a lot of money counting it.

Most currency tend to have a greenish colour. So those who count money have "green fingers" because of their job.

9 Sep 2011     

gloriawpai
Brazil

To have green fingers means you have worked all day long harvesting soy beans, when they are still green. After that, peeling them and making some sort of misso, you know, fermented soy beans. The problem is the smell, and the green color on your hands and fingers, of course.

9 Sep 2011     

teresapr
Portugal

Have green fingers!Start caring for the environment, think carefully while sorting out all the mess around you!Wink

Teresa

9 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

If I �m not mistaken this picture depicts the real cause of "green fingers".

10 Sep 2011     

bucky2406
France

If I had "green fingers" I would be good at gardening... I would have beautiful plants and I would be great at making them grow... Unfortunately.. I don �t think I have green fingers!!!!

10 Sep 2011     

savvinka
Russian Federation

A very easy question! My friend has green fingers. Her garden is so beautiful in autumn!

10 Sep 2011     

Redbull
Thailand

Les, this phrase Green Fingers comes from Poachers and Trout tickling is the art of rubbing the underbelly of a trout fish.
The technique was a common practice used by boys and when I was a young boy of 10 my grandfather taught me how to poach for fish.

He would show me the techniques on how to catch the fish with your bare hands.

The technique used was when you see a trout by the river bed you would slow crawl on all fours down the river bank until you reach the river where the trout is resting.
You would then put your hand in the river behind the fish until it �s near the same
temperture as the river.

When your hand and arm are nicely to the temperature you would put your fingers until it comes in contact with the fish �s tail. Then you would begin tickling with your forefinger, gradually running your hand along the fish �s belly further and further towards the head until it is under the gills, this technique will put the fish under a sleepy trance like state.

Then comes a quick grasp, and the prized trout is wrenched out of his natural element and in the hands of the poacher.
A quick bang on the head and it �s all over.

This is how Green Fingers came about with the techniques of tickling trout.......

The Green = the way you catch the fish without the use of fishing rods and being greener.

The Finger = how the Poacher would use his fingers and hand.

A very true story:

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

10 Sep 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

If you have green fingers it means that you are related in some way to the Green Hornet.  Your job is to fight  crime particularly at airports and border crossings.  With your green fingers you can detect any illegal plants that are being smuggled into the country and therefore, save your country time and money by not having to train dogs to do this type of work.

10 Sep 2011     

valentinaper
Greece

If a man or a woman has green fingers, it is probably because they have been infected.
A very serious disease called "jealousfroggism" is the possible cause. People who are infected are people of all ages, married or single, and, although it almost never inflicts death, it lowers the infected person �s quality of life.

The infected person usually develops greenish skin (like a frog) and their face and fingers become swollen. The most usual cause of this disease is jealousy. Therefore, when someone has green fingers, he/she has been sick due to jealousy.

Now, when something (an animal) has green fingers, well...it �s probably because it �s an ogre!!!

11 Sep 2011