Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help preparing a class    

Help preparing a class

D@N! P
Brazil

Help preparing a class

Hello, teachers.

I�m preparing a lesson clan for  a new school. In their lesson plan model there are listed the following items: Ice breaker, warm up, lead-in, engage.

I know what steps to take in a class, but I can�t see clearly the difference between them. Can you tell me? Can you give examples?

Thanks in Advance.

15 Sep 2011      

julianasnovais
Brazil

J� que � brasileira vamos l�. Isso me parece uma aula para o CNA. O ice breakes tem um site dave�s cafe que � �timo. Essa ativida � para quebrar o gelo e os alunos se conhecerem , ent�o vai depender do n�vel. O Warm up se for em uma segunda aula funciona como uma pequena revis�o. Se for a primeira aula leve uma atividade para reconhecimento do conhecimento do aluno. Lead in n�o vou saber te explicar, acredito que seja um levantamento pr�vio. E por �ltimo, o engage, serve para engajar os alunos no t�pico que ser� ensinado, � como se fosse uma demonstra��o do que eles v�o aprender para entrar no clima. Geralmente para o engage eu mostro algum filme relacionado com o assunto ou fa�o um hot potato com vocabularios, se conhecer algumas m�sica, imagens, flash cards, menus, vai depender muito do que voc� ir� ensinar.

15 Sep 2011     

Turkey

ice breaker: you should make your students notice you. this part includes "good morning", "hello" "how are you" etc. you should have a big smiling face and give the message that you love them and you work for them. you should get a positive first interaction with them.

warm up:  you should warm them up for the topic. here they should start to have an idea about what your topic is and what they will learn. For example, you will teach them family members. You can show them some pictures about Simpsons, your family etc. They should find the topic : family

Lead-in: here you should make them know all the items. for example, Simpsons; you should show them mother, father, son etc. this is the part you prepare them for the main part of the lesson. After learning required items, they are completely ready for your activities. 

Engage: You should make the students produce. they can talk about their families, draw pictures of them or read and write about families. 

15 Sep 2011     

redcamarocruiser
United States

http://writing.colostate.edu/guides/teaching/esl/warmups.cfm explains warm ups, which are used to get the students ready to think and learn in English. moany students speak their native tongue all the rest of the time and need some activity to ease them into English.

The same site also has icebreakers, which, as julianasnovais explained, is for new groups to get to know each other and interact together.

15 Sep 2011