Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > HELP!    

HELP!

manuelanunes3
Portugal

HELP!

Hi!

I have to translate from Portuguese into English an official document (witness testimony) declaring that a Nurse is a member of the Order and that she has the right qualifications to work as a General Nurse in an European country.
Could you please help me with that?
Do you have any similar documents in English?  Where can I find that type of speficic language?

Thank you in advance
Kisses
Manuela

16 Sep 2011      

Patr�ciaLavos
Portugal

Hello Manuela.

As a translator, let me tell you that it is a little difficult to find similar documents in English, because each country has it own documents.

You may translate the document the best you know and then, in order to become an official document, the client must register the document with a lawyer and signed by the translator. Any lawyer knows what to do with these cases.

To find that type of specific language, you may buy a specific dictionary or searching on the net.

Kisses and good luck,
Patr�cia.

16 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

Be careful with these types of documents. Each country might require different things depending on the document.

In Canada, for example, for certain documents (wills or power of attorney) need to be translated by an official translator who is recognised by the Spanish Embassy. In fact, my aunt had this happen to her and there was only one in the whole province who had the qualifications.

16 Sep 2011     

Kita19
Portugal

Hi Manuela!

It �s not that easy to find specific language in the net. I made a German/Portuguese medical translation a few months ago and it was not easy, because there are many specific terms which have a very specific translation.

What helped me the most was wikipedia, I searched the original term and then in Wikipedia, saw the same article in Portuguese. There are some dictionaries around the web with specific terms, try google "legal dictionary online" or something similar.

Besides wikipedia, maybe this online dictionary is also useful: 

Let me know if you need any help. Sometimes a second opinion is good ;)

Hugs,

Patr�cia

16 Sep 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Ol� Manuela

I didn �t answer before, cause I am not sure about what you realy need. You talk about witness testimony, and this makes me think about something related to a court problem, where it may be necessary her testimony, providing there is no doubt she is qualified to make a testemony in such area.
but also you speak about " a General Nurse in an European country ", and this makes me think she needs to prove she has the right qualifications / competences to work as such in any European country.

As Linda ( Zora ) said before, things are frequently a littlebit difficult to turn around.

My opinion, (and this stands for  what it stands ), we ( Portugal ) have, in every area, major institutions which give credits to different jobs. We have Ordem dos advogados, Ordem dos m�dicos .... . I think you should contact the Nurses � major institution and check with them. I have made a few oficial translations, but always under each one �s institution instructions and advice. Never had any back problem, everything was found in order.

BTW, now, let �s have a good laugh - these things are not exactly difficult, no, but they are timing consuming enough. If you are not helping a friend, be sure you are paid for what you deserve.Wink

I remember once I was asked to translate a few pages  ( realy few ), but with those  indecipheral legal words I claimed that I was not sure about  the intentions in each question or answer and I asked to study the whole of the documents.

They sent me about or more than  a thousand sheets and five or six months later they paid me the same I pay to the gentle lady who helps me in my housewife activities.

I did this to a friend, so, no problem.Smile

Anything else, you think I can help, pm me, I will be around.
Kiss
linda

17 Sep 2011     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Thank you all for your advice and suggestions.

kisses
Manuela

17 Sep 2011