Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Tips on teaching story writing to 6-8 year old beginners?    

Tips on teaching story writing to 6-8 year old beginners?

mstone201
Australia

Tips on teaching story writing to 6-8 year old beginners?

Dear Friends, does anyone have any tips on teachig story writing to young esl students?

Many thanks in advance!

Mike

17 Sep 2011      

s.lefevre
Brazil

Hi,
I make my children make up a caracter. It can be an animal, a real person, a monster, anything. This caracter " grows" with the advance of the students. At the beginning, they only write one or two sentences to a picture they draw. Let �s say: This is XXXX. He is a dog. ( draw the dog) . He lives in a house. And so on. Every time there is new vocabulary, the children make a story with it, In a very short time they write longer stories and wont even draw any more. I had really a wonderful experience with it. if you want to know more details about this experience, send me a PM.

17 Sep 2011     

orly100
Israel

Hi,

Drag-N-Drop

The object is to put the right words in the right place

and the right order to capture the essence, story, and meaning of the picture.

I had a good experience with it.Smile
Orly

17 Sep 2011     

ironik
Australia

maybe you can show a picture story first, and then ask them to come up with their own picture story. it can be like a film strip cartoon. If they have learned writing already, they can write their sentences under the picture. e.g. It is a dog. Its name is Fred. It likes running. etc.

or 
-give them some pictures first and then make them write what they see,
-give them some sentences first and then make them draw what they read,

I think making it simple and visual is definitely important Wink

17 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

How young is young? 

Maybe these will help:

Cheers

Jayho

17 Sep 2011     

Friedfam
Israel

Orly, that is a wonderful site you suggested!

17 Sep 2011