Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help with translation    

Help with translation

aliciapc
Uruguay

Help with translation

Hello, I was wondering if Spanish speakers could help me here.
I �m translating a formal letter with the heading " Estimados cohermanos " and ending with " Saludos fraternales " . I �ve found some options for the second (which I don �t like! ) but none for the first (the word cohermanos, used among priests it seems). So I �d be really greatful if someone could help me !  Alicia

18 Sep 2011      

Zora
Canada

"Esteemed Brother(s)" perhaps? 

18 Sep 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

I don �t know , Linda, the word "cohermanos" doesn �t seem to have a translation to Spanish, at least it �s not in the dictionary ... and I was going to end the letter with " kind regards " because I can �t find a greeting which includes the word "brotherly" ...
Thanks a lot, I �ll use "brothers" I guess !
PS  Is "esteemed" normally used in letters ?

18 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Alicia,

How about?

"Dear Brethren"

and

"Fraternal wishes"

Les

18 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

Kind regards, sounds fine and I noticed that "cohermanos" doesn �t really exist. Although, the way I �ve seen it used on the Internet makes me think that "brother" is probably the closest translation...

We will have to see if anybody else can provide us with another option.

18 Sep 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Alex and Linda,  Dear Brothers ( I guess "brethren" is old-fashioned, right Les ? ) and Fraternal wishes is what sounds best to me. 
Thanks a lot !

18 Sep 2011     

-eva
Spain

Dear Zora,
The word "cohermanos" exists in Spanish, it may not be a very common one, as it refers to the members of a religious group. Now, Alicia, I guess that if you want to stick to the original letter, you shoud be fair and use the terms Les suggests, imho these are the closest ones. Maybe cohermanos is a bit old fashioned too! Fraternal wishes sounds fine to me as well.
Your loving sister,
Eva

19 Sep 2011     

Zora
Canada

Dear Eva, I know cohermanos exists in Spanish... I speak Spanish and the word is Spanish! Wink

Now, interestingly enough, I found an online service that translated this as "confrere" which does exist in English. Here �s the meaning:

A fellow member of a fraternity or profession; a colleague.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/confrere

Hugs,
L.

19 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

"Esteemed Brothers"

"Fraternal Salutations"

19 Sep 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

we usually translate Estimados as Dear that �s for sure,  and I would translate Saludos as Regards.

19 Sep 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

Thank you Douglas, Eva and dawnmain, too. I already finished the translation with the help you all gave me and stuck to Dear Brothers and Fraternal wishes, as I said.
@ Eva, being a native speaker, when you do translations, it �s not always the best to "stick to the original letter"... I sometimes find it impossible to stick to it, English works differently from Spanish, and making sentences sound correct is not just a matter of translating literally, right? It�s all a matter of sticking to the concept rather than the literal translation ...Thank you all very much!

19 Sep 2011