Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "Clothes" is Uncountable    

"Clothes" is Uncountable

douglas
United States

"Clothes" is Uncountable

I had an interesting e-mail earlier that got me to thinking.  In the internet there seems to be two different opinions as to whether "clothes" is countable or uncountable.  As I see it, it is uncountable, but with a twist.  The twist is that it is an uncountable noun but it is treated as a plural.

Here �s one explanation that I liked:

What is a countable noun in your language may be an uncountable noun in English. It may therefore be a good idea to try to learn uncountable nouns in groups connected with the same subject area, e.g.:

TRAVEL: information, travel, traffic, accommodation, money, equipment, luggage, clothes, pyjamas, jeans, trousers, shorts, tights, knickers, pants.

Note that all the uncountable nouns associated with clothes are plural uncountables. They cannot be used in the singular form or with numbers. We cannot say for example a shorts or two shorts. Instead we have to say:

• Can you lend me a pair of shorts? I �ve forgotten mine ~ I �ve got two pairs. Which ones would you like? Those ones or these ones? ~ I �ll have those ones.

Any differing opinions on this?

Cheers,
Douglas

22 Sep 2011      

almaz
United Kingdom

Interesting, Douglas. I usually think of �clothes� (and �jeans� etc, for that matter) as an invariable plural, like �binoculars�, rather than an uncountable. �Cloth�, on the other hand, can be uncountable*.

By the way, doesn�t �underwear� have a singular usage? Or, �lingerie�, if you prefer.

*as well as countable, obviously.

22 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

well I like this kind of thread !

Here in France "pyjamas" or "shorts" are singular. So I used to say - as a mnemonic measns - that as we have 2 legs the English word is more logical with its plural.

And in fact when you reflect with all this kind of words :

When you dress up you put on several pieces of clothes that make a whole.
When you travel you often have got 2 or 3 suitcases or bags.
when you read a newspaper several news are printed to be read.
when you move in a new house you don �t have only 1 chair or 1 bed.

In my opinion English is more precise and more logical.

Clothes is the general word. When you want something precise you say �coat �, "trousers �...

As information is the general word. You will say �have you heard about the last financial crisis in Greece ? �

Thanks for sharing your thought.

Have a splendid day.

Maryse.

22 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Can you give me a cloth to wipe the mess on the table, please?
I need a piece of cloth to clean my shoes .
That �s what my dear mother in law used to say and I trust she spoke good English!!Big smile

ANd from wordreference now:

cloth/klɒθ/
noun (pl. cloths)
  • 1 woven, knitted, or felted fabric made from a soft fibre such as wool or cotton.
  • 2 a piece of cloth for a particular purpose.

22 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

You are right Mariethe, cloth is countable, but clothes, though similar, is not the same as cloths.

Alex: I wouldn �t say: "I have five clothes.", therefore, this would indicate that it is uncountable.
I don�t think I would say "five lingerie" either.
I do sometimes say "five underwear", but I do it knowing it is incorrect (just too lazy to add "pair" I guess)

Maryse: In German "jeans", etc. are also singular-it is difficult for me to use the singular for them when I speak German though (it just feels wrong).

22 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Douglas!! Clothes are made of cloth ! There are different types of cloth to make different types of clothes ! ANd all the cloths I have been using to make my clothes are out of fashion now and I can throw them away! Not even good enough to make a pair of trousers  ( BTW singular in French too: un pantalon!) LOL  OMG why is English so precise,...... or is it specific??

22 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hey Mariethe,

Do you know if Douglas closes the clothes in the close drawer where there is the new cloth you bought in the shop selling cloths and closes at 6 pm ?

Thanks Douglas for the German clue. I love languages and interesting information about.

22 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Perfectly correct, Douglas: you can �t say �five clothes � which would obviously suggest uncountable. I said I preferred the term �invariable plural � because of problems, for example, with quantifiers like �many � and �much � (the first refers to count nouns and the second to non-count) eg �she doesn �t have many clothes �.

The Sunday name is plurale tantum, if you �re interested.

PS I only mentioned underwear (singular) because your correspondent (Roger Woodham from the Beeb, isn �t it?) seemed to be insisting that all the uncountable nouns associated with clothes are plural uncountables. Unless, of course, �underwear � is not uncountable...

22 Sep 2011     

Mariethe House
France

Sorry Douglas! hadn �t read your question properly!Smile
Here is some more information about it. However, I just want to add that in my opinion, singular and uncountable is not quite the same or is it? Confused

The noun �clothes � always appears in the plural and does not have a singular form. To express the idea of �clothes � as a singular thing, you would normally say �a piece of clothing � (everyday language) or �an article of clothing � (formal language).

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_the_singular_of_clothes#ixzz1YhPZdq9b

I was having a look at some flickr pictures and I found this one which I think is great and reminded me of your post! Just wanted to share and its comment too:

religion blows

What �s funny about the buddhist are how they spread their holy stuff all over the place to generate some of that oh so sweet karma. This is not tablecloths hung out to dry in the wind but holy scripture. Pretty much wherever you �ll go, how remote it might feel you �ll always stumble over holy paper and stones with inscriptions.

22 Sep 2011