Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > How to read a three or four-digit house number?    

How to read a three or four-digit house number?

angela#anaconda
France

How to read a three or four-digit house number?

Hi guys!

Can anyone tell me how to read a three or four-digit house number like "157 Chelsea Road" or " 2543 Hollywood bldv" My first guess was to read each digit separately.
Thank you all!

24 Sep 2011      

libertybelle
United States

one-fifty-seven Chelsea Road
twenty-five-forty-three Hollywood Blvd.

But if there are more numbers - you say them individually - I don �t know why.
I lived at:

one-two-three-one-four - Sunset Blvd.

So I �m guessing it could be a traditional thing and not something with rules.

24 Sep 2011     

angela#anaconda
France

Thank you so much for your answer!

24 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Angel,

Here in the UK, I always advise my Beginner students to use the individual digits, zero to nine.  (I use "zero" because "nought" or "ought" is often mispronounced and sounds like "four" or "one".  The word "nothing" causes confusion).

Why do I give this advice?

Because, (usually), they know these numbers, --- "One, two, three. etc".  There are only 10 of them.

Take the number, 9378.  The student must simply say: "nine - three - seven - eight".  The other way is to say: "ninety three - seventy eight", which is much more difficult for Beginners.  A bigger problem is to say: "nine hundred and thirty seven - eight".  In this case, the student must be able to use 1,000 number-phrases.

To speak an eleven-digit  telephone number over the phone is an even bigger problem, for the above reason.  The student must convert 11304978025 into groups of 1-digit or 2-digit or 3 digit or 4-digit numbers, before he/she speaks.  This is a problem, even for native speakers.

In addition, on the telephone, did the Listener hear "thirty" or "thirteen"?  Was it "eighty" or"eighteen"?  These types of numbers are frequently mispronounced by students, because they put the stress on the incorrect syllable.

Generally speaking, I agree with Libertybelle�s advice.

So, I am not being dogmatic, because different Teachers have different successful methods with different students.  But, there is a tendency on the part of some Teachers to say: "I find this easy, so you will find it easy!"  Often, this is not so.

Best Wishes in your teaching.

Les

24 Sep 2011