Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IS "TO HAVE GOT" WRONG?    

IS "TO HAVE GOT" WRONG?

nemomen
Romania

IS "TO HAVE GOT" WRONG?

hello everyone
please help me with this delicate problem.
I need to know if "to have got" is wrong on a grammatical level, and if only "have got" is correct.
if it is wrong, please explain.
Thank you ever so much

24 Sep 2011      

crisholm
Spain

I �d think �have got � is a verbal phrase (grammatically in the form of Present Perfect even if we use it in the present). �To have � is correct, but we wouldn �t use the infinitive �to � for �have got �.

24 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

The string �to have got � has 194 examples in the British National Corpus (eg "The justification seems to have got lost along the way...." from the Independent).

There are, as you �d expect, less hits from the Corpus of Contemporary American English, but they �re definitely there.

24 Sep 2011     

mariamit
Greece

Well it all depends. As Alex says "to have got" can be used but not to show possession. According to Swan in "Practical English Usage" (page 208)

Got is not generally used with infinitives, participles or -ing forms of have: you cannot usually say to have got a headache or having got a brother. The infinitive of have got is occasionally used after modal verbs (e.g. She must have got a new boyfriend).

I hope that helps you.

24 Sep 2011     

nemomen
Romania

I don �t want to refer to it in a context, just as a start title in a conjugation. Like:

to have got

I have got
You have got
etc.

:( my students made me a project and an evil colleague said it was wrong
please give me some good news

24 Sep 2011     

crisholm
Spain

I do not want to be your �evil colleague �, but I �m afraid it �s not used.
Anyway, I wouldn �t make a big issue out of it - just carry on to more enjoyable things!
Best luck,
Cristina

26 Sep 2011