Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Dirty words    

Dirty words

EnioTigre
Argentina

Dirty words

Hello!!!! I need your help !!!! I have a group of students who are in their 60s and they ask me to teach them irty words.  Any sites to suggest? thank you!!Confused

24 Sep 2011      

Mar0919
Mexico

And you �re actually going to do it???? Sorry, but I have another perception of "teaching", regardless of their age. Confused

24 Sep 2011     

miss K.
Ukraine

What comes from a mouth shows the conditions of the heart.
Once my student asked me to do the same and I did not do it.

24 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Veronica,

If they want to learn about sewage, tell them to go to a Sewage Works, not a Classroom. 

Les

24 Sep 2011     

Dameon
Thailand

I suggest the following, Dirty words

unclean
filthy
grimy
mucky
soiled
grubby
mucky
polluted
foul
sullied

these are all dirty words !!

24 Sep 2011     

paddyofarrell
Ireland

I �ve often been asked to teach similar words. Many of my students live and work in English speaking environments and encounter slang and coarse language every day. It can be managed in a professional way - ask the students what they need/want to know, and use dictionary definitions from respected sources like Oxford.

It may be worth telling the students that this newly acquired vocabulary is best used as part of their receptive language rather than their productive language - that is, understand it, but don �t use it. Anyway, using bad language incorrectly sounds incredibly silly.

24 Sep 2011     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well, at first, when I read Tigre �s post, I was shocked. Teaching dirty words in English???? Very inappropriate and weird. I felt kind of questioning myself about such an issue and the possibility of its existence. Never thought of it before , as teaching and learning English has always been for good fruitful purposes.

It would be better if Tigre clarified her point. Why do her 60-year-old students want to learn such filthy words? 

My two questions :
1- How can teaching students filthy words benefit their learning and communication? Sure it won �t benefit them morally.;))
2- In case this teaching must occur, what is the best way of doing so?
Mind you, still can �t accept the idea.

Personally speaking, I am against teaching filthy words. My students would never ask such a thing. In case it happened with me, I would cut it short. If they are dying to know the meaning of those words, am sure they �ll use the dictionary or ask some expert friends rather than turn to me.

Am looking forward to reading many teachers � opinions regarding this issue.

24 Sep 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I am always asked to teach  that kind of words/phrases and I always say they have to learn the basic English first. Then, by when they reach the upper level, they have already learnt them from the films and are no longer interested.
Anyway, if you have to, you should teach them in context, that  is, by using film fragments.

I understand those against the teaching of this sort of vocabulary, but I understand, as teachers, we must guide our students.
Some of them are in touch with other English speaking people who may not be the best "teachers" in this sense.

24 Sep 2011     

Nebal
Lebanon

So, Tere, you �ve taught such kind of vocab. before?
How did it go at first?
How was the interaction between you and the students?
How did you guide them?
Do you think it �s much easier to teach sts. of advanced levels?
Sorry, but still can �t accept the idea. Disapprove Would you please clarify?

24 Sep 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Sorry,  have I said I did???

I think the problem  here has a cultural root.

In my native language some expressions  which used to be "strong" in the past have become of common use among very young people. One of the reasons for the decline of  the language.
So it is common for them to wish to know their equivalent in English. It is then when you come to explain we are talking of two different languages  and what the use of strong language is in English.

You can teach anything with the right material, the correct knowledge  and the good managing of things.

Perhaps, Nepal, you are thinking of a group of teens at school (to whom I would never expose to this language!).

Anyway, I can understand your position, but am convinced of mine.

24 Sep 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Paddy,

Despite my previous Post, I agree with what you write.  Sometimes, students need to know these words.

I was once asked by a group of female Chinese Nurses what various �vulgar � words meant, because they didn �t understand them, and they couldn �t find them in their 50-page, English dictionaries.

The Nurses worked in an Old People �s Home, and many of the elderly residents, (who were English), did not know the �polite � words for �urinate �, �defecate �, etc. nor the medical names for many parts of the body.  Consequently, they used the words and phrases which they had always used at home.

I, (a man), spent a complete lesson, (with 5 girls), explaining by means of words, mime, sound effects, drawings, and a Mandarin Dictionary,  the answer to every question that they asked about bodily functions, (including child-birth questions).

They asked, because they needed to know, to help them in their profession.

Please, don �t write and tell me how many Teaching Rules that I broke on that day.  NO-ONE else would, or could, tell them.

Incidentally, one of the girls went on to take a Master �s Degree and she became a Senior Manager.  She still keeps in touch.

Les

24 Sep 2011     

1    2    Next >