Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Classroom discipline     

Classroom discipline

Bella29UMM
Mexico

Classroom discipline

Hello dear teachers!

Thanks for reading this post I really need your advice, I hope you can help me with this situation:

I �m an ESL teacher in a primary school my children are 6-7 years old.

The first day of classes I explained the classroom rules (we �ve been working together for 3 weeks now) and I �m afraid I �m having troubles managing classroom discipline, I have hall-passes but they continuously interrupt and ask for permission to go to the bathroom, also I find kind of difficult to get their attention and make them to follow directions.

I have tried to motivate them with games, but this created more indiscipline.

They don �t want prizes or candies because they know their parents can and will buy them if they ask (most of the kids from school come from very rich families).

This is my first time working with kids, I love teaching and I want to continue working with them so I need your advice.

One thing that work well was teaching through movies and songs but I can �t do that with them every day.

I must admit that I wasn �t very very strict with them at first and I regret Cry.

Hope it �s not to late.

Thank you so much for our help!

25 Sep 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Oh dear! Little rascals at this age!Smile Don �t blame yourself! They can be quite difficult to manage and you mustn �t let them run you down.
Have a look at this site which is , I think quite helpful.
http://www.disciplinehelp.com/teacher/detail.cfm?behaviorID=8&title=The%20Arrogant&step=Action

And this other one too:

http://www.marvinmarshall.com/classroom_management.html

25 Sep 2011     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hello Bella,

No problem Bella, at all!! Why?? Because it is normal to find a difficulty in managing such pupils at this age. My children also are 8-9 years old and they very noisy and active! You can say it is impossible to control them all or most of the time, but what I find  easy to do with them is to play games , like Turn-Toss, pelmanism as a concentration game, songs as you said before, projects at the end of the module or unit in the school yard. You can also use some websites to let them practise some easy and lovable programmes in the language Lab if that �s available; Of course I have neither Computer Lab nor Language Lab.

I must admit that I encourage them control themselves by giving them gifts and sweets, too! Don �t get down please, I suffer the same problem though I use different techniques and ways to handle their strange, aggressive behaviours with each other.

Look at these sites, you might find something useful:

I have a very good site for educational games, but I can �t find it. I �ll send it to you when I order my stuff.. I have moved to a new house:)

I hope that I added something useful.

Suha

25 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Here �s an interesting interactive video I came across a while ago http://www.teachersmedia.co.uk/behaviourchallengeprimary
Sophia

25 Sep 2011     

jumpoutofthebuilding
China

Dear Bella,

I am teaching in China. One thing that I do is, before the class starts, I remind them the rules and the consequences of breaking them. for example, they can �t speak chinese in the class or chat with each other. If they do, they get a point. I write their names and give them a point if they misebehave. If they get 5 points, they get 3 home works. So far this works for me

25 Sep 2011     

Bella29UMM
Mexico

thanks a lot Smile
Thumbs Up I feel better now!
 Right now I �m reading and watching the videos You �ve shared with me.

25 Sep 2011