Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > to have got    

to have got

nemomen
Romania

dictionary entries don �t have the "to" infinitive, or at least those that I have checked so far...I wish i could erase it but the thought that I have done a mistake in not correcting that chart myself and explaining the mistake on the spot to my pupil is haunting

25 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

It �s not a mistake, as I get it from Alex �s post from yesterday.
I just thought in that way you could save yourself the pain of the argument with a colleague.
So, that colleague of yours is probably infallible, eh? 
Sophia

25 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

As Sophia said, this was discussed yesterday:  http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30565, although you didn �t mention that it was a heading for a conjugation. As I said yesterday, the string �to have got � is common enough, depending on the context and sense, obviously.  If you think about it, it �s simply a verb phrase with �have � as the head - in which case only �have � is inflected.

I checked my Collins Robert French dictionary and the sub-head �to have got � is given under �get � (translated as avoir, poss�der). It also appears several times in its infinitive form under �have �.

By the way, Blanca, if I were you, I �d check a good usage dictionary if you �re not too sure about when to use the expression (blue collar/ white collar indeed!).

25 Sep 2011     

nemomen
Romania

Thank you all so very much for your interest. I knew I could count on you!
But who is Blanca? Is it me? So I should get a  better dictionary if I want to be a white collar teacher...

25 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Blanca is one of the people who answered your post:)
Sophia

25 Sep 2011     

< Previous   1    2