Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ma thesis problems    

Ma thesis problems

eaddicte
Poland

Ma thesis problems

Hello,

My name �s Mark. I �ve been attending MA seminar devoted to the subject of language acquisition from the perspective of Chomskyan linguistics and I �m struggling with the problem of coming up with my MA thesis. I �ve read some books about Universal Grammar, Language Faculty but still haven �t got any ideas on what to write my MA about. One thing that I �ve got interested in is American Sign Language, but I don �t know how to connect this subject with Universal Grammar (my advisor says that the thesis must be strictly connected with UG). I �d like to know if there �s anyone who could give me some hints or advices that would help me somehow ;) In return, I can send you 1-2 gb of English teaching materials and pdf books via e-mail ;)

Please contact me via private message.

Thanks for reading,

Mark.

25 Sep 2011      

Jayho
Australia

Hi Mark

Your topic sounds very complex.

I can�t really help much apart to let you know that I know of a deaf teenager who primarily relies on sign language and whose written grammar is very poor.  This teenager had to receive extra tuition in written English for their final school exams.

I know very little about sign language but I guess grammatically it is very different to the grammar most of us think about.

Good luck!

Jayho

26 Sep 2011     

almaz
United Kingdom

Margaret Deuchar from Bangor University has done some interesting work on extending the concept of diglossia to include sign language. In fact, she contributed to a book on Chomsky with a paper entitled Sign languages as creoles and Chomsky �s notion of universal grammar (from Noam Chomsky: Consensus and Controversy (Falmer Press, 1987)). Your advisor should be able to point you in the direction of a copy.

26 Sep 2011