Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > The Poetree and other sculptures    

The Poetree and other sculptures

almaz
United Kingdom

The Poetree and other sculptures

I don �t know if anyone �s been following the story of the mysterious and exquisite little paper sculptures in praise of books that have been left anonymously in some of Edinburgh �s literary institutions over the last six months. Things like this:

More info and pics here:

26 Sep 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Absolutely stunning! A friend of mine in france does paper sculptures from books and this work reminds me of what she does. Unfortunately, I have no pictures but will get some!
 What a super creative idea of leaving this for free with no fame seeking, everywhere in Edimburgh. I wish all artists had that generous mind!Smile
Thank you Alex for letting us know!

26 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

woaw !!!!! absolutely fascinating ! How much patience and love for pure and mere beauty from art !!!!

This artist is absolutely incredible : he or she made one �s creations famous and stayed anonymous... This is what we can call ART FOR ART ONLY !

Thanks for sharing such a wonderful topic dear friend.

Maryse.

26 Sep 2011     

perma
Greece

So beautiful!
And what a great story Smile

This link is at the comments of the above article, check it out too:  http://www.sublackwell.co.uk/portfolio-book-cut-sculpture/
Another "book sculptor". Just beautiful.

26 Sep 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Thank you soo much for sharing this. I hadn �t heard about it before. They are just inspiring. Not only the artwork itself, also the message: for the love of libraries,books, words and ideas.
What a beautiful soul must have created these!
I sent the link to all my collegues and bookloving friends.

26 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Charming! It �s more intriguing that �s it �s a gift from a stranger...

26 Sep 2011     

juliag
Japan

Absolutely amazing sculptures and what a wonderful, intriguing, delightful act. And such fun, too! Thank you dear Almaz for sharing it with us.

26 Sep 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

In fact, amazing! Even more with all this mysterious and anonymous artist around. Time to call for Sherlock Holmes.

26 Sep 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The message "for the love of books and libraries", Marion, seriously? Don �t you think, that butchering old books is the opposite kind of the message. I �d say you can read "this is what you should do with the useless stuff that �s been sitting on the shelf for too long or something that bore you to death" somewhere between the lines. Definitely impressive. Destructive and creative at the same time:)
Sophia

@Alex: these sculptures are as odd as the puzzles of a serial killerWink I must have been watching too much of CSIWink

26 Sep 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi Sophia, I must admit that my first reaction was also "oh, what a shame of the book" but I definitely wouldn �t call the delicate carving "butchering" and I do think s/he was sincere in presenting the work as a tribute to books. Sometimes "sacrificing" a book (hardly a rare copy) in order to raise awareness for reading or libraries can be justified I think. I remember having a book that was in such bad shape that no amount of glue or tape could fix it so I ended up laminating some of the gorgeous illustrations in it  to decorate the English room. (even though that meant - gulp - cutting out pages) Felt like the least I could do for the book....

26 Sep 2011