Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Bathroom or toilet ?    

Bathroom or toilet ?

Zora
Canada

Canadians often use "can I go to the washroom?"

27 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Like Joy said, most Ozzies simply say they are going to the toilet.  Some do say loo, some do say bathroom, some even say dunny which is Australian slang for toilet and used in very informal situations by some people.  But most just simply say it as it is, toilet.

For school "Can I go to the toilet please" is appropriate.

27 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

as for "may" or "can":

asking: "may I go.." is asking for permission to go

asking: "can I go..." is understood to be asking for permission, however,it is actually asking if you are capable for going...

I suggest using: "May I go to the ... restroom/ bathroom/ toilet/washroom (in that order)" I would not use "loo" for the simple reason that of the five it is the only one that may not be understood when traveling ("loo", as I understand it, is strictly British).

Douglas

27 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Good point Douglas but "may" is so old fashioned.  It really isn�t used much nowadays.  If we teach the use of "may" in this context is it really then authentic everyday English?

BTW, I just checked my Collins Cobuild Student Book and it teaches can/could to ask for permission instead of may and actually says that "may is old fashioned and is not often used in modern English in this way."  I wholeheartedly agree, but then we people at the bottom of the world often have a different lingo to that of our forebearers.

Cheers

Jayho

27 Sep 2011     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Thanks a lot for your replies

27 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

I guess growing up in a "smart-a$$" family like I did kind of programed me into using "may I".   I never really thought about it being old fashioned--doesn �t seem like it to me. 

Of course, my kids have continued the "smart a$$" tradition, but they aren �t too bad about responding with "I don �t know, CAN you?" whenever someone uses "can" instead of "may".

I guess I am old (hitting 50 soon), I still use "may" quite a bit.

Cheers,
Douglas

27 Sep 2011     

< Previous   1    2