Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > More barons    

More barons

colibrita
United Kingdom

More barons

Hi Everyone

I need names of some living barons, not in the aristocratic sense but that of people that control large parts of an industry. eg. media baron Rupert Murdoch.

Thanks in advance

Colibrita

28 Sep 2011      

Zora
Canada

Conrad Black, who is a Canadian by birth, gave up his citizenship to become a "Baron". Unfortunately, he is of the same ilk as Rupert... they must be related somehow.. or maybe all media moguls are crooks!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conrad_Black

28 Sep 2011     

douglas
United States

The description here mentions some names that may help:

"Rockefeller, Carnegie, and Ford are here, as well as J.P. Morgan, William Randolph Hearst, Howard Hughes, Malcolm Forbes, Warren Buffett, Steven Spielberg, and Bill Gates."

and another link:

business magnates:

and probably the best list (the English is bad though):

and one more list:

28 Sep 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

Thanks Linda and Douglas! Your help has woken up my sleepy brain. Ted Turner, Ecclestone, Berlusconi...

Discovered Ted Turner is (perhaps now was) the US �s largest private landowner - very interesting piece on him: Hope he �s as decent as he seems to be (well, in conservation terms, anyway) but guess that might be breaking the tycoon mould! Well, IYI here �s the link:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22010764/ns/business-real_estate/t/ted-turner-playing-cowboy-or-hogging-land/

Mua mua from sunny Barcelona

28 Sep 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

My first idea was Richard Branson, a modern tycoon. I also thought of Lakshmi Mittal (steel magnate) and Carlos Slim (telecom), among the richest men on the planet.

28 Sep 2011     

Jayho
Australia

If you are looking for Australian magnates/tycoons (which are our equivalent terms of baron) then take a look at the 2011 list here - Number 1 is a female, Gina Rinehart (mining industry).

28 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

Frank Stronach

Oleg Deripaska

29 Sep 2011