Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Teaching Timetable in European Countries    

Teaching Timetable in European Countries

Fezinho
Portugal

Teaching Timetable in European Countries

Hello everyone,
I was wondering how things work in other countries: In Portugal, a full time teacher �s timetable a week includes:
- 22 periods of 45 � of classes (teaching English/Maths/ History... etc) +
- 2 periods of 45 � of tuition to students with special difficulties +
- 2 periods of 45 � to replace other teachers whenever they can �t come to school (for example when they are ill, or have an appointment with a doctor, etc)
The previous items are specificied in our timetable, and they are fixed and compulsory every week.

Apart from that we have to do all the planning at home: preparing classes, test, reports, etc etc. Plus, we obviously have the most different kind of meetings at school we have to attend to.
How do things work in your countries?
Thanks

28 Sep 2011      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

In Spain, in state high schools, we have 18 periods of 55 minutes of classes, 1 period if you are a class teacher (to solve their problems, etc...), three periods to substitute other teachers if necessary, 1 meeting with other class teachers of the same level and another period for parents who want to talk with you. Of course we also do all the planning at home, which takes a long time (at least in my case); tests, preparing classes, correcting and so on.
Yolanda

28 Sep 2011     

aliciapc
Uruguay

This is not Europe but I�m curious ... from what Fezinho wrote, I gather you have 26 hours of 45 min a week, and Yolanda 18 hours of 55 min... I had 45 hours of 40 min each, last year ... too tough, but this is Latin America we �re talking about ... (planning, correcting, etc ... at home, of course) . Teachers here work in two or three schools, most of us anyway. I could never make a living on the amount of hours you work ... can you?

28 Sep 2011     

elsnert
Russian Federation

In Russia minimum is 18 hours of 40 or 45 min each. But it impossible to make a living on the amount of hours that �s why teachers have ususally 26-36 hours a week. Nobody thinks of how much time they spend doing their planning. I don �t think teaching may be effective if a teacher has more than 20 hours a week, but unfortunately we have no other way out as to have much more

29 Sep 2011     

minimal70
Morocco

IN Morocco, things are quite different; In private schools, typical age-appropriate learning level starts at age 9 ( primary schools) while in state schools the age-appropriate english learning is 14-15 which means that a middle school in Morocco includes grades 7 through 9, consisting of students from ages 12 to 15; children start learning english in Middle schools and they go through it in high schools around age 16-17-18-19 ( high school)
As for teachers of private schools, the teaching hours range from 26 to 36 hours per week and depending on the private school curricula. in addition to this, there is always a meeting schedules with the teachers and the inspectors of education who organize workshops and lessons activities.

As far as State school teachers are concerned, the teaching hours range from 18 to 21 hours for high school teachers and from 20 to 24 hours for middle school teachers.

Teachers work either mornings or afternoons BUT NOT BOTH which means they can teach up to four hours per day.
assignments and exams are scheduled contuniously; for assignments, they are adminstered every 2 weeks and exams at the end of the terms one in January and the other in May or June.
In Morocco we have 2 terms. we have three main exams: Primary certificate ( age 11-12)
Middle Breuv�- (age 14-16) and Baccalaureat certificate (17-20)

29 Sep 2011     

minimal70
Morocco

Middle school students are assigned 2 hours of english per week while high school students take up to 4 hours of english per week

29 Sep 2011     

olaola
Italy

Italy:18 periods of 60 minutes a week, 6 classes, 3 hours a week for each class plus house work, meetings with other teachers once a month, meetings with parents 4 in a year

29 Sep 2011     

Fezinho
Portugal

Thnaks everyone for your kind reply ;)

29 Sep 2011