Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Invented Names    

Invented Names

edrodmedina
United States

Invented Names

A few weeks ago I asked for help with  phrases or words that sounded like names http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29613&page=2 and got a good response from Nika, Zoe, Carina, Sophia, Joy, Zora, Alex and of course Les. When I first saw Mariethe �s name what I saw was Marie the House and this morning I saw Pie dad which of course is Piedad and it got me thinking about invented names that I �ve seen over the years and one stood out. I teach in a predominantly hispanic area and one name just stood out above all I �ve seen: Hey Zeus. I kid you not. Have any of you come across names that have stood out?? Just curious.

29 Sep 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Dear Ed! How confused your mind must be!LOL
My real name is marie - th�r�se but I prefer the shortened form of it: Marie -th�  and now as i am getting older and lazier, I write it: Mariethe which sounds more like : Mariette which i much prefer!
As for your request , In what used to be a French colony , some people would call their child "fetnat " because they were born on the 14th of July which was marked on the calendar as such but meaning of course: "F�te nationale" (national day)Big smile

29 Sep 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi dear Ed,

I have a sad story to tell,

When my youngest son was born I was near a woman who had had a girl and as she absolutely wanted a boy she had not even tried to find a girl name. We were in January and when the nurse asked her how she wanted to call her daughter she dispisely said �Call her January !" (in French January = janvier, so the girl �s name became Janvi�re - just because she was a girl...) Poor thing !

A sad true story...

29 Sep 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

One of the kids in 4th grade is called �Mia� which combines nicely with her last name "Mor". (Mi Amor, cute, no?)

Having several languages meddling with your associative thinking makes for a lot of funny names. "Pien" is a normal (albeit old-fashioned) Dutch woman �s name but it means �male reproductive organ � in Hebrew, that made it kind of tough to keep a straight face when I met her. All kinds of words become silly because of different meanings in different languages.

In Hebrew, a lot of names have meanings and lately there is a trend to have �odd � names like �string � or �sound �. A very common name in Israel is �Daniel � (both for girls and for boys) which means "god has judged me" which always strikes me as funny, especially when the kid is especially obnoxious.....

29 Sep 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Marion �s penis, well not her penis (I don �t know her that well) but her story about penis reminds me of the time that our then assistant principalwho was not the sharpest tack in the drawer, was handing out certificates for attendance in the auditorium and there was a Vietnanmese student whose first name was Ku (I �m not sure of the spelling) and last Lo. In an auditorium full of k-3 Spanish speaking students he asks for Ku Lo to stand up.  Culo means ass or assh***.

29 Sep 2011     

MarionG
Netherlands

talking about "not the sharpest tack" ;

One of my students misspelled his last name "Meron". He wrote "Moron" in bright pink glitter pen on his work intended for display in the corridor.....

29 Sep 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

This is a hilarious list of funny names I found online. Many of these are real names. I think you �ll enjoy!

29 Sep 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

LOLLOLLOL  You guys are incredible LOL!!! Ed, Marion, you had me laughing so loud! I �m in my break during second shift, and when I read your posts, I just blurted out laughing, the other teachers just gave me the eye!!!!! LOL!!!!

Thanks, I needed that!!!! ok, now back to work!!!

Have a wonderful rest of the day!!

Mar

30 Sep 2011     

Sainte-Marie
United States

In the book �Life of Pi", the name of the main character is Piscine. The kids used to tease him " Where �s Pissing?" I �ve got to go" "You �re facing the wall. Are you Pissing". The poor one had nothing to do but to outsmart the kids and... teachers... by dashing to the blackboard and writing on it "My name is Piscine Molitor Patel, known to all as Pi Patel and he added p= 3.14. and drew a large circle... to distract by giving some basic geometry " That �s how he introduced himself. It worked. The name is important :) The teasing stopped.

30 Sep 2011