Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > english for the chemical industry - materials?    

english for the chemical industry - materials?

dawnmain
United Kingdom

english for the chemical industry - materials?

I have a company class in a chemical plant - they produce chlorine and bleach.
they want technical english.  does anyone know of any course books, websites etc for teaching this type of vocab?  Im at a loss to know what they expect me to teach them as they know the chemical names in English anyway.  please help!

30 Sep 2011      

spinney
United Kingdom

I �ve taught at "Linde" (Spanish chemical industrial company)before and know what this can be like. Do what I did and tell them you �re not a chemist but an English teacher. You might want to focus more on their business English though. Try the language and forms of presentations and meetings spiced up with the odd role-play and that might well keep them happy.

30 Sep 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

Ive already covered a lot of general business English with them, precisely because Im not familiar with chemical English.  They have sent me a load of technical documents in English to use in class but Im not sure what to do with it.  I haven really got time to sit for hours and go through it all.  What a pain!  thanks for your comments anyway.  do you work in Spain?  Im in galicia.

30 Sep 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Roasting away in Sevilla Cool. You �ll just have to tell them you haven �t the time. Perhaps there could be something in the Peter Watcyn Jones books. His vocab books tend to be more specific to certain industries than most. I think they �re a bit cheeky though. It �s like when I teach business executives. I tell them straight off that if I had an extensive knowledge of business English then I �d find another way to make (a lot more) money. They are the experts in their field and they should be the ones looking all this vocabulary up. You are just there to make sure they use and improve the language in that context as best as you can. But at the end of the day you are an English teacher not a chemical engineer. Next time they give you a list they want to know about you might want to tell them to google it as homework. Good luck to you anyway! Do they drink cider up there? Or is that Asturias?

1 Oct 2011     

Pinky Makus
Canada

http://www.nugentec.com/specialty_chemicals_glossary_of_terms/

1 Oct 2011