Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > how can i ? help help    

how can i ? help help

floona
United Arab Emirates

how can i ? help help

hello all

help me please

how can i stop the feeling of boring in my class
i want my students to love the English class
they want games all the time,but i can �t because i have to finish the curriculum
give me ideas  

2 Oct 2011      

maryse pey�
France

hi floona,

let me explain you how I explain the simple preterit for example.

Most of the children know the cartoon character DIDdle, don �t they ?

So I explain that if the affirmative sentences at the simple preterit HATE DID-dlle DID and chase him from their words, the interrogative and negative sentences at the simple preterit, on the contrary, ADORE it and it is indispensable to invite it or the sentences will be furious.

Try to make your formal explanation a �story � and the students will listen to you.

Better : ask them to invent their OWN story not to forget the grammar rule and the �formulas � in order for them to explain the friends who would not have understood.

It greatly works for me. Why not for you ?

Hope this will help.

Maryse.

2 Oct 2011     

niluka
Sri Lanka

Hi faloona

Find a suitable texts or activities about something that they love most. Select external resources  from magazines , news papers handouts etc which are relevant to the curriculum. Relate things happening in the class room to your lessons, whenever you can crack a joke. Do not start the lesson in the same way everyday, try some relevant warmers at the beginning of the lesson. Once you alter your style of teaching I think your students will love you and your lessons too.Good luck!!!!!!  

2 Oct 2011     

floona
United Arab Emirates

thanks

i want some extra suggestions

2 Oct 2011     

interested
Chile

Try to use some games to practice before as a warm up and when you   notice the energy of the class is going down 

2 Oct 2011     

stessenspaola
Argentina

Hi! well what works for me is to work through projects or tasks with a practical goal. Sometimes when we give isolated activities, SS tend to lose interest because there isn �t a clear objective. But if you tell them beforehand that they everything they are going to do are steps to achieve a goal, SS are more motivated. For instance have SS design their own leaflets in which they have to create catching phrases and logos or they can create their  own cartoon strips, a power point, a poster showing their ideal schools or house, plan a party, design their own recipes and share the dishes in class, plan their own party, etc. So every grammar point or vocabulary are necessary steps that will lead the SS to make their practical works. I can asure you that SS are much motivating when they can create their own works.
Have a nice day!

2 Oct 2011     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

I tell my students that games are a reward for good work - if they work hard for 45 mins they can have a game for th last 15 to practice what they have studied.  if they dont work hard there �s no games.  they whinge and complain every class but generally they do what I  ask.

2 Oct 2011     

Pelletrine
France

I think stessenpaola has a great point ;o)
When students know why they are studying this or that point of coping with English :
- of cause they will be much more involved and cooperative with their own learning.

Children, and adults too ;o)) like to know why on Earth they should bother learning something, most of the time.
- Sure, you DO have exceptions, children (adults) who just adore learning and exploring new things and knowledges..............   but .... they rarely need a teacher :o))

So, when we teach, normally, we have to motivate our students. And the best and fastest way, is to show/tell them what use they can have of what we teach them. (Easy, but tricky too).

In short: to stop boredom: tell rigth away what the students will be able to do with this or that lesson(s).    .... and make them do/show something from their own life/experience with the newly leaned capacities.  Everything in short cuts/ eatable and realistic. ( I can introduce myself/ I can argue pros/cons about an issue....) and every time: finish off with a personal show off/poster/speach/share

cheers and good luck  ;o))

2 Oct 2011     

Mariethe House
France

You MUST have a look at this place: They �re fabulous! I wish i were still teachingCrySmile

http://busyteacher.org/6943-teachers-top-10-ways-to-motivate-students.html

2 Oct 2011