Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Why is this right?    

Why is this right?

spinney
United Kingdom

Why is this right?

I did an exercise from a book today and my students wanted to know why this sentence had the auxiliary verb "did" in it. I had to flannel them with the excuse that it was emphatic but it clearly isn �t. Anyone know the rule on this one? or is it one of those weird things that pop up from time to time in English:

"Not until I was on my way to the airport, did I realise that I had left my passport at the hotel." Confused

P.S. Actually, now that I�m sitting at home and have had my dinner and am all relaxed I know the answer. Typical! Can anybody tell?

3 Oct 2011      

marciadnr
Portugal

Hi!
it has to do with the inverted order implied by the expressing "Not only...., did I..."
Check (Michael Swan):
Inversion+adverbs
Certain expressions with a negative (broad negative) or restrictive meaning can be put at the beginning of a sentence for emphasis. When it happens, inversion is used.

3 Oct 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi

This is a fair common case of inversion for emphasis.
Kenneth Beare

" Inversion refers to an irregular verb placement form:

Examples

Not only do I enjoy classical music, but I also have a season ticket to the symphony.
Seldom has the boss been so upset! "

More examples

• Little did she know how much work was left.
  • On no account must you sleep at school.
  • Never should you forget who your boss is.
  • Only then can you belong to me.
  • Here comes the sun.

You may have alook here:
http://www.eslmonster.com/article/inversion-of-the-verb-after-certain-adverbs

Hope this can help

Have a nice day.
Linda

3 Oct 2011     

mariec
Spain

http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/grammar/learnit/learnitv293.shtml

Hi, try the above sites. I had loads of work done over the years on about almost everything,

but last Friday getting everything ready to start the academy today, I dropped my external

hard disk, which of course means I�ve lost years and years of work + lots of  this site�s

wonderful  printables. Sorry to moan so much, but I feel better having told somebody.

Hope you all have a great week ,

Lots of hugs

3 Oct 2011     

Tere-arg
Argentina

You were not wrong. This structure is used for emphasis.
When you start a sentence with certain negative adverbs, you are forcing a verb inversion,

Edit: sorry...I had not read all

3 Oct 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

Thanks a bunch everybody! I figured it out as I wrote the post but I couldn �t remember what it was called. Verb inversion, eh? I �ll give them some exercises on it next week for making me think too hard! Sorry to hear about your HD Mariec. I �m going to be a lot more careful with mine now that you mention it!

3 Oct 2011