Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Indefinite article    

Indefinite article

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Indefinite article

Hello, dear  colleagues:)
Please help me out with the use of "a"/"zero article" in the following phrase:
She speaks a/zero article perfect Italian.
Which one is the correct choice? Does it fall under the following category: "a" used before uncountable nouns when these have an adjective in front of them, or phrase following them?
Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Sophia

4 Oct 2011      

manusyasya
Ukraine

Hi! I found a discussion on the usage of indefinite article in similar context here:  

http://www.englishforums.com/English/HeHasAGoodEnglish/lgph/post.htm

I hope it �ll help! It was interesting for me to look it through))

4 Oct 2011     

Apodo
Australia

No article is needed.

She speaks Italian.
She speaks perfect Italian.

5 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

It sounds better with zero article.

5 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Yeah, see, that �s the point - the key to the test has "a". On what grounds?
Is it "no article" full stop or is it a disputable case? If the latter, why put it in a test for 8th-graders? Sorry for lashing out, but I �d just really like a complete answer.
Thanks for your input, Marion and Maryse.
Sophia

5 Oct 2011     

spinney
United Kingdom

We never use articles with languages, countries (unless plural or with the title "Republic") and cities. If the test came from a book I wouldn �t worry too much. It �s just the way of the world. I �ve used text books before now and found mistakes that defy belief. Perhaps it could be said in a colloquial sense (she speaks a perfect Italian) but I �ve never heard that one before. With or without the adjective/adverb, it �s just plain wrong. 

5 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

No good explanation, but we say it both ways.

"She speaks perfect Italian."

"She speaks a perfect {form of} Italian."

The first is definitely the better way, I think the second is (as Spinney says) more colloquial. It is unbelieveable that someone would put that in a test (two right answers).

5 Oct 2011     

mariamit
Greece

No article is needed Sophia. Italian , when used to refer to a language is a mass noun. As Douglas says you can say "She speaks a perfect form of Italian." It �s probably just a mistake.

5 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Thanks for helping me, dear friends. You see, when you give a different answer from what is listed in a key to the test as a correct option, your colleagues think you �re wrong and the fact sort of undermines your authority as a person with reliable knowledge of the English grammar. But I knew I was right.
Sophia

5 Oct 2011