Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help me please use of got and any    

Help me please use of got and any

Reika76
Italy

Help me please use of got and any

Hello! I �m italian and this is my first experience as english teacher so I need some help. I �m in trouble with the answer to a question:

Have you got any pet? (is this question correct?)

Are all of this answers correct?

No, I haven �t got any pet
No, I I �haven �t

What �s the difference between the two?

Thanks a lot for your help

5 Oct 2011      

Mariethe House
France

Have you got any pets? or Have you got a pet?
"No, I haven �t" is the usual answer and is the short form of : no,I haven � t( got a pet)or No,I haven �t (got any pets)
good luck on your first job as a teacher.Smile

5 Oct 2011     

yanogator
United States

To add to Mariethe �s excellent answer, we use "any" for plural and countable nouns. It is the interrogative and negative equivalent of "some".

Have you got any pencils?    I �ve got some pencils.    I haven �t got any pencils.

Have you got any paper?      I �ve got some paper.     I haven �t got any paper.

As a side note, "some" can be used in questions, too. Generally, we use "some" in a question if we expect a positive answer, and "any" if we expect a negative answer, or don �t really have an expectation.

Bruce

6 Oct 2011     

mariec
Spain

Something else to keep in mind  is some of your students may come across teachers using;

Do you have any pets?  ( which is also correct)

Yes, I do.

No, I don�t.

All the best with your teaching.

6 Oct 2011     

Reika76
Italy

Thanks a lot for help!!!

So can I consider correct  the answer : 

No, I haven �t  got any pets

also if the question is ; have you got a pet?

Sorry but I �m very nervous with this new job and I �m making a lot of  mistakes , in my language if the subject of the question is singular so it will be in the answer...

7 Oct 2011