Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Street Markets    

Street Markets

24VICTORIA
Spain

Street Markets

Hi, everybody!!

I�m planning to organize an activity in my school connected with street markets, flea markets, second hand markets.

The idea would be to teach my students the cultural part of street markets as well as the language part. They would have to install their own stalls at school selling their old possessions to raise money for a charity. This is something which I must plan carefully and I would appreciate any ideas you could give me. We could also have students as buskers playing songs.

Do you know any websites where I could get ideas?

Thank you in advance

Victoria 

5 Oct 2011      

juliag
Japan

Hi Victoria

Well, I �m doing the same kind of thing in my village to raise money for the people affected by the Tohoku earthquake and also to raise awareness amongst the kids in this unaffected area.

I didn �t look for any websites so don �t know of any to help you, but thought I would tell you what I am doing at my event so you could get some more ideas:

- a toy flea market
- a raffle - this is more oriented at the adults and families than the students themselves - they buy tickets which are then drawn out of a hat. I have asked a number of sponsors to donate prizes. They don �t have to be big things -   several of mine are more experience based - a walk with goats and then eating a treat made from their milk, an afternoon�s outdoor cooking with me and my dog Pimo etc. People whose numbers are drawn get to choose a prize.
- a lucky draw for the kids, they will win coupons to do the other activities free, or some small stationery items that I will ask students� parents to donate (hopefully)
-  walking my dog round the block for 20 yen a time
-  face painting - not entire face, just small hearts/starts/butterflies/characters/flowers etc. - one picture for 20 yen
-  throwing cream pies at their teacher i.e. me. 50 yen a time.
-  painting pictures on stones, 20 yen a time.
-  making bead bracelets from recycled beads that I�m going to make from plastic drink bottles. 40 yen a time
-  3 kinds of sporting activities - bowling, struck out and kind of a mini golf. Each of them 20 yen a time.
-  several traditional races, egg and spoon race, sack race etc. 20 yen to take part.
-  origami corner where students write messages on origami paper and make them into a shape of their choice, to be delivered to the earthquake affected area
-  English theater performed  by me - interactive chant version of the Enormous Turnip. Adults 150 yen, kids 50 yen.
-  special guest a lady who does puppet theater and has also been going to Tohoku and doing it as a volunteer there. She will talk about Tohoku after the earthquake and show us some puppet theater. Adults 300 yen, kids 100 yen.

Think that�s it. Half of the money collected from the various events will go to a charity that supports children who have lost their parents during the earthquake. The rest will go to the puppet theater lady to support her volunteer work in the area.

I hope this gives you some ideas of what else you could do, you could have students throwing cream pies at the teachers and principal, making various recycled crafts for a small fee etc. Getting local businesses to sponsor you and having a raffle and/or lucky draw is also a lot of fun I think, it rather a lot of work.

I also had some fantastic ideas from members of this site, more of which I would have liked to include, especially Ed�s cake walk idea and the idea that various people mentioned of selling or auctioning students� work (or them for tasks). But when I talked to my Japanese friends they thought the cake walk was impossible as not many people here make cakes. And as the event is not just for  my students, but also all the kids in the village, I didn�t think doing something with students� work would be as appropriate. But as you are doing your event at school, something like that would be perfect! Why don�t you check those ideas out here:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29789

Good luck!
I hope both our events are a success and we can raise a reasonable amount of money for charity at the same time as helping our students to feel more compassion for others.

Also hope some of this helps.
hugs
Julia

6 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u75XQdTxZRc
The art of haggling, an important part of street markets.

6 Oct 2011     

Lindax
Ukraine

To  Douglas: Thank you, very funny. I`ll use it with my Ss tomorrow.

To Julia: Dear Julia! You made me regret I`m no longer teaching kids. Your `event` sounds really fascinating and inspirational.
BTW can your dog cook?

Have a wonderful day, 

Inna

6 Oct 2011