Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > tell me wat you think ok     

tell me wat you think ok

Emaratia
United Arab Emirates

tell me wat you think ok

Iam starting a topic on family teaching esl students age around 10.I assume they have taken family vocabulary but being second language learners we as teachers and in todays world know they forget or I dont know but it seems kids dont learn anymore (not persimistic a fact) too much distruction. We do our duty and try hard the rest is in  god �s hand .ok the lesson :

1. Iam confused do I start with brain storming or  start with a boy from England named peter and  put his picture on the board and tell students he sent them something in envelops.I ask them to open the envelopes and put the pictures and words they  found on the board (words on one side pictures on the other).After that they choose the word e.g father and put it under the fathers picture and so on... (grandfather,grandmother,father,mother,sister,brother only).
now

Iam confused I want to introduce the th sound but then Iam like later maybe ...

2. They read the words then after that I remove the pictures and leave the words I give them pictures of an Arab family now and tell them peter wants to know their family.and let them put the pictures to match the words left on the board.(a different idea is give them pictures and words to make a poster for peter with their family members. I dont know MMMMM)

3. I let them play pick and tell  pictures and words (in pairs)if their partner is wrong they give him thumbs down if they are right thumbs up.And they take turns.

4.Now I assume now they know the family words and can work alone(individual) .I have three  ideas here 1. crossword they find the words and write them down or 2. I give them a magnifying glass and very tiny words for them to read and write them down or maybe in Numbers like 6-2-20-8-5-18 and they find the letter to read and write  eg father.

After that I end the lesson by I don �t know checking their papers together or by giving them a checklist of smiley faces showing I know my family vocab they choose yes ,no , confused etc .... I really feel like I ran out of teaching ideas

give me feedback please guys ....

7 Oct 2011      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

Why not sing a song?
When I taught my 9-year-olds (4th year of foreign language instruction) we would study other family members like cousins, aunt, uncle. And I would give them sentences to complete: 
My mom �s sister is my ...
My dad �s mother is my ... 
My uncle �s son is my ... 
My dad �s daughter is my ...
I �m my mom �s/dad �s ... 
etc.
Sophia

7 Oct 2011     

Emaratia
United Arab Emirates

thaanks for he song but tell me which parts of the lesson should I change and which of the options should I take ...

7 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

The activities seem fine. A phonetic drill after brainstorming is a wonderful idea. You should keep in mind though, that you have to incorporate all 4 language skills into your lesson - listening, reading, speaking and writing (at least that �s the policy in my school where I teach).
Sophia
Edit: one more song suggestion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDeh7kzXQrc

7 Oct 2011     

Emaratia
United Arab Emirates

thaanks for he song but tell me which parts of the lesson should I change and which of the options should I take ...

7 Oct 2011     

Emaratia
United Arab Emirates

did I leave any skill out MMMMMMMM just asking to err is human after all

7 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

A listening activity?

7 Oct 2011     

moravc
Czech Republic

Speaking + listening activity in pairs - What is your mother �s name? brother �s name? sister �s name?
etc. The other student draws a family tree. Then they say/write short sentences:
My mother �s name is Ann. She is 35. She is tall and slim.

Fill in vowels -writing activity - f _ th _ r, m _ th _ r (cards?)
Making pairs - father + mother, aunt + uncle, brother + sister (with pictures / word cards)
- Snap Game - all cards face down, each student can uncover 2 cards and place them back.

7 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

This isn �t a "classic" example of listening, dear Nika,... at least from my perspective...
Shouldn �t a listening activity involve listening to a recording/watching a video with the native speakers in it+pre/while/post-listening activities?
BTW your ideas are also very good as are Emaratia�s.
Sophia

7 Oct 2011     

Emaratia
United Arab Emirates

thanks can I use the song you gave me as listening and where do I fix it warm up or end or ..BTW I love your ideas sorry for the trouble

7 Oct 2011     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

You can put it right after the brainstorming and warm-up or at the middle of your lesson if you add some moves or gestures to it, it can be a physical exercise too, or use it as a closing activity to reinforce vocabulary once again.
Sophia 

8 Oct 2011