Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What would you write in a composition which is beautifully done, with pictures and nice things but full of mistakes?    

What would you write in a composition which is beautifully done, with pictures and nice things but full of mistakes?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

What would you write in a composition which is beautifully done, with pictures and nice things but full of mistakes?

When I give my students back their compositions corrected and marked I usually write something like "well done" or " be careful with big mistakes" but I don �t know what to write to them when they have made a great effort to show their interest  drawing pictures but it is full of important mistakes.
Can you help me, please?
Yolanda

11 Oct 2011      

Ms. Taghreed
Egypt

Hi,
I think using a writing rubric is the solution to your problem. The students should be well acquainted with the criteria you follow while correcting their pieces. What �s more efficient is that they use the rubric for self evaluation.
Taghreed

11 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

you may write :

your effort is visible, I can see it and I thank you for your interest.
I am sure you will improve soon if you goes on. Don �t give up !

11 Oct 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Would it be correct to say "good presentation but be careful with big mistakes!"?
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

11 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

I would insist on the presentation : why not :

very good presentation but be careful with big mistakes ! I trust you. ?

12 Oct 2011     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Iolanda

Neat and clean " is something I have to struggle everyday. My students usually make a mess of everything, so, most of the times I have some kind of difficulty to understand / read their works. I am always claiming I want their works clean and neat. So, this said, I would take it to their account, if the work was well presented. However, this is not exactly our aim, teachers of English - but, being able to write / type clearly, pasting some useful and suitable pictures, having made a fair shearch or whatever, this is what , here, we call transverse competence; it �s something they need to learn, but it �s not anyone �s duty to teach - every teacher has to be aware of these kind of competences; we all teach them to use a computer, to use Word, to open an email account, to use moodle/ blogs and... to give back a neat work....

I think this is important, though it may not be our goal. But I always take it into their side.

my 2 pence worth

Hugs

Linda

12 Oct 2011     

Fernandez
Spain

When I was teaching in England we were requested to make comments on students � works, and we had to try and make them positive and motivaing. In addition we had to give students targets to keep improving on their performance so I would suggest something like:
"Excellent presentation, xxxxx! Next time make sure you double check your spelling/grammar/etc.."

I hope this inspires you!
Best wishes.

12 Oct 2011     

PhilipR
Thailand

Praise presentation and effort, but point out the most important mistakes (don �t correct all the mistakes in the essay).

12 Oct 2011