Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Word of the Week instead of Word of the Day?    

Word of the Week instead of Word of the Day?

Zora
Canada

Word of the Week instead of Word of the Day?

I commented to maryse earlier this evening about doing a WOW instead of a WOD just because participation has been so low lately.  And she said to ask everybody´s opinion on this idea... so...

What does everyone think about this idea? Or is there another alternative that you think we should consider???

13 Oct 2011      

Stellam
Argentina

WOW!!

13 Oct 2011     

Mariethe House
France

stella:LOL

I hope I won �t get everyone shout at me for my abrupt opinions once again !
I really loved the game when Frank first started it  for its fun and interesting aspect and the fact that it brought us together around a common objective :having fun on this ratheer serious forum!Big smile.Now , like all games, it has become a bit repetitive and I think it needs some changes , some new oxygen... The fact that very few people have been participating lately is a sign that something is wrong. What? Too much work? Boredom? I don �t know.?Ermm
This has been discussed before!
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=29410
On the other hand,I think what Jamiejules suggested the other day would be a more authentic guessing game and it was really funny to try and guess what product was behind the definition.
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30862

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=30885

Just my suggestion. Hope to see more.

13 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

We could change it to a "Match Game" type game with fill in the blank...

For example:

"The young student that had accidently grabbed his teenage sister �s book bag instead of his own, reached into the bag and pulled out a __<<blank>>____."

--at this point people submit their suggestions for filling in the blank.

--the winner then selects the next new phrase

--if we do this, I suggest the new phrases be posted on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays

Douglas

13 Oct 2011     

maryse pey�
France

Hi everyone,

Douglas I must confess I LOVE your idea !

I have another one : why not starting with a word, a group of words and ask the first participant to find a new word or group of words starting with the last letter(s) of the previous word or the last word of the previous group of words ?

Example :

Backrapper ----> ERase ---> Expectation ---

Douglas has a good idea ---> ideal is the situation ---> the situation is not bad ---

Finding funny explanations on packages sounds more difficult, at least in my opinion.

Let �s wait for tother suggestions !

Plenty of hugs to all of you,

Maryse.

13 Oct 2011