Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > I have a doubt    

I have a doubt

casc
Brazil

I have a doubt

Please, I need a help
 What is the past tense of the sentence below:
                  You �ll finally fall in love.

13 Oct 2011      

ufuk-arden
Turkey

Not gramatically but mentally I can say that: "You �ve finally fallen in love."

13 Oct 2011     

MoodyMoody
United States

Nothing wrong with ufuk-arden �s use of the present perfect here, but the past tense of fall is fell. "You finally fell in love." I still prefer ufuk-arden �s sentence because it implies that the process of falling is still ongoing.

13 Oct 2011     

Pelletrine
France

I think "you finally fell in love" is the correct answer, both because it is the past tense of "fall".  But also because you can "date" the moment when you fell in love... (OK OK: more or less ;o)).... then, of cause you could, mentally ad "and I �m still �in love"
I think you fall in love...... and then it goes on.... or not, but you don �t keep on "falling in love" with the same person: after you �ve fallen..... you are in love with somebody  ;o))
Does it make sense to our native speakers?
Hugs  :o))

13 Oct 2011     

yanogator
United States

I disagree, MoodyMoody. The present perfect is for a process that has ended, but has a result that continues in the present (and into the future), so, as Pelletrine said, you are still in love (the result), but the "falling" is over.

Bruce

14 Oct 2011     

Zora
Canada

The correct past tense of the sentence - if you are using a Reported Speech type format would be "You would finally fall in love".

Example:

Jane to Tommy, "You �ll finally fall in love."
Jane said to Tommy that he would finally fall in love.

BUT all the other answers could be correct too. When asking a question like this it is always better to give it in context and also give us a reason why so we can answer without speculating or second guessing each other.

14 Oct 2011     

douglas
United States

You could use both:

"You have finally fallen in love." works because it it is affecting your present situation (you are now in love)--in the same way "I have lost my key" (I can �t open the door) is correct.

14 Oct 2011